icon

2001 malibu, head unit wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jarredh 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2001 malibu, and i bought my stereo(pioneer) and was thinking of just splicing the wires and connecting them with some electrical tape with the diagram below. I asked people at circuit city and they said that they would not recommend that because it could put check engine light on. I don't really care about that but then they were saying something about the airbag light. I just want to know if you would recommend this? I don't want to spend $80 for the harness that seems unnecessary.
|     RADIO 12V|orange              |+  |at radio     |
|     RADIO GROUND|     |   |             |
|     RADIO SWITCH|yellow              |+  |at radio     |
|     RADIO ILLUMINATE|     |   |             |
|     POWER ANTENNA|dk. green           |   |at radio     |
|     LF SPEAKER|tan - gray          |   |at radio or LF speaker      |
|     RF SPEAKER|lt. grn - dk. grn   |   |at radio or RF speaker      |
|     LR SPEAKER|brown - yellow      |   |at radio or LR speaker      |
|     RR SPEAKER|dk. blu - lt. blu   |   |at radio or RR speaker      |
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

that harness should not be nessassary for your year make and model. i would suggest though that if you do this install you at least use something else besides electrical tape or wire nut or scotch locks or t-taps to make your connections. its well worth it and you wont ever regret spending a few dollars on a good pair of crimpers and using good butt connectors.

jarredh 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
ah yes, i was thinking of that. was not sure after i crimp it, should i wrap it in electrical tape? I know in my first car I use a few wire nuts and tape, worked out well until the tree got in the way. just not sure because I remember reading that the chimes, dash, airbags and everything is connected through the radio. I was reading a little more and it said something about getting the wire harness adapter that is VT-GMRC-01 and the cheapest 1 that i have found is around $70
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

you are most definitly correct in what can happen without that harness, but, if your model has a switched wire right at the back of the unit and is only a din and1/2, it wont apply to your car. is it a din and a half dash or double din height?

jarredh 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
in dash it is a din 1/2
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

you dont need the harness in that case. 2001 malibu, head unit wiring - Last Post -- posted image.

memfus_boi 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
IMO u should go 2 circuit city and get the plug for your car i think the number is 80-1858 (i work at circuit city) but it will make things alot easier!!! also im not exactly sure but u might need to get your acc. wire from another source.
If I'm to loud, then you're too old!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic