icon

upgrading stereo, 04 dodge ram quad cab

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sessland 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2008 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Got myself a "new" truck and need some suggestions and direction on upgrading the system.
My requirements are I want to do this as economically as possible and to keep the components as small as possible to maximize the storage space. This would limit my sub box size to about 1cuft (under the pass. rear seat).
The truck has a stock 7 speaker Infiniti setup which I think is pretty decent for a stock system in a pickup but definitely needs improvement.
Is there any reason to try to duplicate the factory Infinity speaker size and mounting locations or should I go the kick panel route?
My first thoughts were to have a 3 way component front stage using the factory door location and some custom kick panels. I'd like to use the door location for a speaker since it's already provided and I've always wanted to try a 3 way setup.
Any reason I should not go with a 3 way setup?
I've been looking at the Jensen 9512 7" DVD head units and planning on adding GPS, iPod etc, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier/better/cheaper to start off with a head unit that has all that built in already?
Any thoughts on how to power everything? single amp? multiple amps? brands etc?
benzo33 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2008 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  

I also have a '04 Ram and there are 6 x 9's up front and 5.25's in back. You may not need to use kick panels. I have an alpine 3-way in the fronts and coaxials in back. On ebay, there are sub enclosures that fit under the rear seats, either 10" or 12". I was also able to mount the amps between the sub box and firewall after some trimming of the covering. I have a 4-to-8-gauge wiring to the amps. As far as the head unit, it depends on your budget.

2001 Corolla S and 2005 Neon SRT 4 ACR.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2008 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

what is your total budget

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 08, 2008 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
You are not really limited to the 1 Cu. Ft. that you think you have.  It is pretty easy to raise the rear seat in those vehicles.  You can raise it 3 inches and it will still latch on the hooks mounted on the back wall.  Let me know if you need to know how.
Sessland 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2008 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
benzo33 wrote:

I also have a '04 Ram and there are 6 x 9's up front and 5.25's in back. You may not need to use kick panels. I have an alpine 3-way in the fronts and coaxials in back. On ebay, there are sub enclosures that fit under the rear seats, either 10" or 12". I was also able to mount the amps between the sub box and firewall after some trimming of the covering. I have a 4-to-8-gauge wiring to the amps. As far as the head unit, it depends on your budget.

I already made a sub enclosure out of fiberglass/MDF for a 12" rockford.
I was thinking of mounting the amps under the front seats. One under each.
My head unit I think I've got figured out. I'm looking at the Jensen 9512. I like the price and the features.
I'm not sure what kind of budget I have to work with...if I had to be pegged down to a number I'm thinking under a $1000, but that's not a fixed figure.
Sessland 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2008 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
You are not really limited to the 1 Cu. Ft. that you think you have.  It is pretty easy to raise the rear seat in those vehicles.  You can raise it 3 inches and it will still latch on the hooks mounted on the back wall.  Let me know if you need to know how.
Ok you've definitely peaked my curiosity.
How does one go about raising the seat 3 inches?
benzo33 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2008 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
Did u take out the spare tire jack under the passenger seat?
2001 Corolla S and 2005 Neon SRT 4 ACR.
Sessland 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2008 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
benzo33 wrote:
Did u take out the spare tire jack under the passenger seat?
Yes
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 10, 2008 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  

Remove one seat bolt, take it to a screw and bolt distributor in your area.  Purchase 4 bolts of the same thread and size with a length of 4 inches.  Then purchase 4   3 inch long couplers for the next largest size bolts.  Make sure your bolt slides easily in the coupler.  Go home remove the other 3 bolts, raise seat and insert the couplers under the seat, place the longer bolts through the coupler and screw into the original mounting holes. 

boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2008 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
  cool , nice idea idiot.....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic