icon

two speed fans

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jborden 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
I am considering using temp switches. Does anyone know where I can find a 160* and a 180* threaded type switch? 
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2008 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
sure, i'll even give you the part numbers for them. i need a little more info though. what kind of thread? pipe thread or metric? what size also? 1/4" pipe? 1/2" pipe? you know, that sorta stuff.
jborden 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks,

Pipe thread 5/8

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  

woah! 5/8? thats big. does it measure 5/8 across with a tape measure? because thats actually 1/2 inch pipe thread which is what an older engine like the one you have would normally use. also there are no temp switches that have 5/8 pipe thread. if you really do have 5/8 pipe thread you can use a pipe bushing adadpter.

jborden 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
My mistake. 1/2 inch. Thank you for catching that.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
well, heres the good news. i found the switches you need. the problem is they are the wrong thread. you will have to find a bushing adapter or have them made. the switches you want are not very common and alot harder to find thats for sure. the one for 160* is CARQUEST part number TS-231. the other is a CARQUEST part number TS-250. they are normally open switches that close when they hit those temps. they are a metric     22-1.5 thread though. nothing exists with your size thread or even any pipe thread that was at those temp specs. sorrytwo speed fans - Page 2 -- posted image.
jborden 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you, I am impressed. I am not set on those temps. I could go -5 to +10 on the 160 and + or - 10 on the 190. Are these temps available? Also, do you know what would cause my two speed fan to run at what seems to be the high speed when connecting either the high or low speed wires to the battery as a test? I have two of these units and the other unit runs low and high (both speeds) when I test it straight to the battery.
jborden 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

A Carquest search says item not found?

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
just call your local store with those numbers. or better yet, if you have a chance go in and they have an illustrated guide so you can even see what they look like if they dont have them in stock.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic