icon

alpine 9884 headunit, 2005 impreza

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bnr34rb26dett 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  

hello, im trying to install an alpine 9884 head unit in my 2005 subaru impreza. the car was bought used with aftermarket headunit already in it.

the car has stock headunit stock speakers and no subs.

im trying to replacfe it and i have three questions...

a) there is a orange cable (illumination) that comes out of the wire harness from alpine adapter. but i do not see a orange wire coming out of my subaru. all my other cables has been used up. although orange cable is missing, it seems like there used to be a orange cable hooked up from the car. should i recreate this orange cable or ignore it? what does illumination do?

b)i have a ground cable coming out of the alpine whichc seems like it is meant to go on the car's body. and i also have a ground cable coming out from subaru. i know that there is a ground cable already coming out of the car that hooks up to the alpine harness casing. where should gound cable coming out from the car go? how about the one from alpine?

c) last question is i see one blue cable and another blue one with white lines on it. coming out from alpine. these are suppposed to be antenna remote and amp remote. but i only see one blue cable coming out of the car. should i attach all three together? this is how it was setup before i took it out.

any comments/suggestions would be great!

thank you so much!!

megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  

First, I hope you are using an aftermarket wire harness which plugs into the factory stereo plugs.  The wire color codes from the aftermarket harness is a universal color code where the factory subaru wiring does not follow any standards or guidelines except subaru's.  If you try to connect wire color with similar wire colors from the factory harness, you'll have a world of hurt.  If the factory plug is cut then you need to get a DMM and test for the correct wires.

The Following is if you are using an aftermarket harness such as Metra, Scosche, etc., which plugs into the factory stereo plugs and follow industry wire color guidelines.

wow.  very rookie, but we all start somewhere.

1.The orange illumination wire from the Alpine is to dim the display of the Alpine when you turn on the headlights.  Some vehicles do not have a proper illumination wire at the stereo, as yours' does not.  There are three different illumination wires that come in various vehicles.  One is a Positive Illumination which gives the radio +12vdc when you turn the lights on.  All aftermarket radios, when equipped with an illumination wire, such as your Alpine, take this input.  The second, which is in mainly Ford vehicles, is a Negative illumination which goes to Ground when the lights are on.  If you hook up an aftermarket deck to this type of wire then the display will be dim during the day and bright at night, which of course is opposite what you want.  The last illumination wire is the true Dimmer Illumination.  This wires' voltage varies depending on the setting of your interior illumination dimmer switch.  Aftermarket wire harnesses color the wires to indicate which type of illumination is in the vehicle.  Orange with White stripe is a Positive Illumination.  Orange with a Black stripe is Negative illumination.  And lastly is the completely Orange wire which is a true dimmer.  Here's comes the disclaimer:  Wires that are completely Orange can be either the Positive OR dimmer, so you have to use a DMM to verify.

2.  The ground from the Alpine can go to two different places, either the car's metal ground plane, or the ground wire for the factory headunit.  If you ground the Alpine to the car's body, or metal surface within the dash cavity, then the car's ground wire used for the factory head-unit just isnt' used.

3.  The Blue wire from the Alpine is a power antenna lead.  It supplies +12vdc when the Tuner is selected as your source on the Alpine.  The Blue with White strip is your amplifier turn-on wire.  This wire supplies +12vdc when the Alpine is turned on.  Now, I'm not talking about when you talk dirty to it, but when any of the sources is selected on the Alpine.  The factory harness has a blue wire which could be used for two different things and a lot of times it's used for both, which is to turn on the factory amplifier and the power antenna.  You can use the Blue with White stripe wire from the Alpine and connect it to the Blue wire for the factory harness.  If you have a power antenna, then it would just be up all the time while the stereo is on.  However, you should NOT connect both the Blue wire from the Alpine and the Blue/White wire from the Alpine together.

bnr34rb26dett 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  

first of all, thank you soooooo much for such a descriptive and quick response. yes, i do have the afternarket harness since im upgrading the car from previous aftermarket harness.

thanks for helping me out but i still have some things unclear.

1. i now understand the different cables that alpine illumination cable can be hooked up to. but i do not have any other available cables that could hook up to the factory harnedd other than the ground. is it possible to use the headunit without the illuminatiom hooked up?

2. i get the ground part. thanks

3. so should i just hook up the blue cable from the car to the blue/white cable from alpine since i do not have a power antenna?should i just leave the blue cable unhooked?

4. is there anything i need to know about the red and yelow cables? i simply hooked up red with red, yellow with yellow.

thanks again

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic