icon

wigwag setup?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chp10_8 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2008 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

I'm trying to make a wig wag set up that will operate like this L, R, L, R, L, L, L, R, R, R, L/R, L/R, L/R AND SO ON......... IF YOU NOTICE THE MAJORITY OF FIRE TRUCKS AND AMBULANCES HAVE THESE..... SO IT IS POSSIBLE  Thanks in advance and does any one know how to accurately create on for the rear tail lights that will interrupt when activated but when not in use the brake lights opperate normally, thanks again :)

Key=

L=LEFT

R=RIGHT

L/R=BOTH

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2008 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
i have a setup for alternating headlights, but it doesnt operate in the way you describe. it operates in a L R L R L R sequence.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 08, 2008 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Do some research in to microcontrollers.  They are small, cheap, and user programmable to do pretty much whatever you want them to do.  Do do an intricate setup like you have you will need a dedicated electronic controller.  I can almost guarenteed that that is how EMS vehicles do theirs.  Also, with a microcontroller you can program it so that the brake lights still work while the wig wag is active.
Kevin Pierson
jeffwhiteman 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
Kevins right, a microprocessor is the way to go. If you dont need this asap, and are interested in making it yourself, you can learn how. Parallax is a company that not only makes these chips, but also sells a kit called the "basic stamp starter kit" or activity kit. Its about 100.00 and has everything you need to get started. they also have a forum much like this one with lots of knowledge and helpful people. They will help newbes, but i would suggest getting the kit before participating.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
If you want to do it on a budget look in to the 8 bit Atmel AVR line - for under $5 you can make a parallel port programmer, obtain all necesarry software, and buy the chip for your project.  However, you will still have to learn how to program it!
Kevin Pierson
jeffwhiteman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2008 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
i have been doing a bit of tinkering myself lately. Any idea where I can get a DTMF decoder chip? (not surface mount... i drink too much beer!)wigwag setup? -- posted image.
chp10_8 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2008 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged  

Will check out those processors Thanks

n2ixk 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2008 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
jeffwhiteman wrote:
i have been doing a bit of tinkering myself lately. Any idea where I can get a DTMF decoder chip? (not surface mount... i drink too much beer!)wigwag setup? -- posted image.
I've used the 8870 from CP Clare a few times. Available in an 18 pin DIP from DigiKey. Needs a 3.58 MHz color TV crystal for a timebase. Datasheet here:
http://www.clare.com/home/pdfs.nsf/www/M8870-R3.pdf/$file/M8870-R3.pdf
jeffwhiteman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2008 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
thanks. exactly what I was looking for. Do you know of a supplier? I just did a search and didnt find much
jeffwhiteman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2008 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
nevermind, just re read your post
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic