icon

how to, led lights under dash

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bumpinexploder 
Copper - Posts: 265
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2008 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
ok i have done car audio for about 2 years now and i have never had led's but now i am really interested in hooking some up. but i dont know what kind to buy or how to power them. the ones i looked at said can be used on 12v applications. i just want like 2 sets of 3 light leds. any help would be awesome. thanks!
Pioneer DEH-400UB
Kicker 150.2 mids/highs amp
MB Quart fsa 216 front stage
AudioPipe gd-6001 mono amp
AUDIOQUE SD 15S PREFAB BOX!
C&D Technologies Battery, 1500 CCA, 134 amp storage
149.5 DB's
04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2008 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
I used 12 volt cold cathode lights, the ones that go in your computer case, they worked nicely
bumpinexploder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2008 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
ok cool. how do you hook them up? if it has 12 volt power source where do i tie it into?
Pioneer DEH-400UB
149.5 DB's
tj.poorman 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
How do you want them hooked up?
Like to a switch, when you turn your lights on, when you open your doors, etc.
bumpinexploder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2008 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
i would like whatever is easiest for me. lol. but preferably i would want a switch.
Pioneer DEH-400UB
149.5 DB's
burgies 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  

Ive recently done exactly this and i have no experience in this stuff what so ever.

i used: cable strippers, 12v tester, a switch, gaffer tape, cable ties, 3x LED car interior sets, appropriate power cabling. (i had excess from one set of lights so im not sure what it is

i presume you will havemost of this stuff if you do audio installs.

the lights themselves were made to be plugged into your cig lighter. All i did was crack open the cig lighter (as one had a module inside for controlling them and resistors) and took the wiring to the cig plug on the inside, and connected it to the cabling. Firstly i put them where i wanted them, i used zip ties to hold them in place. I then secured all the cables back away from pedals ect. Next i took out my coin box thing that houses the cig lighter, just 4 screws to get into this. I stripped the + line that goes to the cig lighter at the back, (tested with the tester..) and wrapped up some power cord onto it, i taped it close to seal it, I ran this to my switch which  happened to fit neatly in a random hole in my car, ran some more cable away from this, Then all the + sides of the neon lights were "connected" to this. I stashed away the cig lighters from them in unseen areas so as to protect the inside resistors. (also lets me use the music function :P) I put 2 lights under the foot wells, 2 under the front seats, and 2 behind my sub in the boot. The front 2 sets were grounded via the cig lighter ground, its just the other cable back there that doesnt have a signal when the ignition is on while nothing is plugged in, i imagine it does when somehting is in it. Anyway the back set were grounded to the same place as my amp. It looks great, was real easy and was relitively cheap, took 3 $20 kits instead of a pro kit of 6 costing around $200. And yes i know i should have souldered them together, i will get round to it i just didnt have a solder iron nor did i know if it would work.

There are many ways to hook them up, do go with your doors, your head lights, etc, but personally i think this is the easiest, as your cig lighter should have a fuse. You need the ignition on for them to work, but i didnt mind that, rather be able to have em on when the doors are closed :P

sorry bout the uber long post, just got em done and had no one to share it with, good luck with your install!

-Burgies
bumpinexploder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
yea that helps alot man. i appreciate it. i will try t do something simalerthis weekend THANKS!
Pioneer DEH-400UB
149.5 DB's
tj.poorman 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
He's right the cigarette lighter is a great place to tie into for something small like this. Just be sure that your total amperage won't exceed the fuse that is currently in there.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic