icon

advice on cleaning up my boxes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rival904 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

Ive built several enclosures before, probally around 10 or so. My biggest gripe is my lack of wood working skills. I can built the boxes to spec everytime and they sound great....

They just look, ugly.

Heres some pics of a few of my boxes.

advice on cleaning up my boxes -- posted image.

Unfortantly thats all I could find in my album.

My next purchase will be a router so I can clean up the edges. I do have a full list of tools in my "shop" they include

• Jigsaw
  • Skillsaw
  • Tablesaw
  • 2 Nail guns
  • Drills
  • Air Sander
  • Caulk, etc

Any tips or tricks to help clean up the looks of these boxes? I dont mind carpeting boxed I just have a hard time finding it around here.

Thanks.

2004 F150 STX 4x4
Eclipse CD3100
(4) Pioneer TS-W3001D4
Powerbass 3XL 6x8
Powerbass 600.4
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
Well you said it, carpeting.  One thing that you can do that works awesome is to route the edges, I like a 1/4" round, and then sand smooth.  Primer it, then use that spackle paint you can get at a home improvement shop.  It's cheap, simple, and looks decent.  When painting the box, just make sure you sand every surface smooth and you use a good primer.  The problem with MDF is the edges that are exposed.  They are sponges for paint.  With a good primer, you'll never see the exposed edges.
jayson33 
Copper - Posts: 165
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2008 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
Get you a thin piece of wood or a wooden yard stick staple it to your project piece use as a guide for your jiggsaw or use thumb tacks to tack it down the yardstick but your cuts will be perfict.
My wife thinks bagging a truck means you kick it in the truck nuts
rival904 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2008 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  
I am probally building another enclosure here soon for a sealed 15in Kicker Comp or a ported for 2 15 L7's... I will buy a few sheets of wood as compared to 1 so I can play around a bit and see what works best. Also will be picking up a router while I'm at Home Depot.
2004 F150 STX 4x4
Eclipse CD3100
(4) Pioneer TS-W3001D4
Powerbass 3XL 6x8
Powerbass 600.4
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
   Arouter would help.........AJasper jig............roundover bits.......flush trim bit..........Rabbet bit ......straight bit.............And patience..........take your time on next box.....Say to yourself "if its not PERFECT its not right" while building or fabricating projects and stick to it and you will be on the next level...set your standards high.
rickcperry 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Get a good tablesaw and or clamp some scrap for a guide when cutting with a skill saw. Buy the circle cutting jig for perfect holes when sinking the subwoofer flush with the box but if you are simply mounting the sub as usual, just cut careful with a jig saw. Nobody will see the hole with the sub in place.
You can get the roundover bit for the router but sometimes the router tips because there's not much of the router base to support it. Here is a tip, leave the circle cutter attached to give you more base and support on your router. Make sure the screws are countersunk or they will catch on the router base. I personally use wood glue and a brad gun but your cuts have to mate perfectly.
Now, here's the biggest trick on making your box look good... BELT SANDER!!! Use it, and most of the 12 volt installers here will agree that when you are on a limited time for an install, screw the router... Get a belt sander with an 80 grit belt (40 grit if you are real bad at woodworking) and get the job done in about the same time it takes to install the router bit and finish one side.
You don't have to spend lots of money either, get a cheap one. I got mine at harbor freight tools for about $20.00
Anything can be done with cash and relays!
rival904 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  

Well heres a little update... I went and picked up a brand new skill saw and a brand new blade the other night... I also used the idea of clamping some wood down on the box... I figured out from the edge of my skill saw to the blade is 1.5in so I just figure that into all my cuts and it makes it like 100 times more clean.

Just did all the cuts last night, assembly is today so we will see how bad it is this time. Pics will be posted also.

2004 F150 STX 4x4
Eclipse CD3100
(4) Pioneer TS-W3001D4
Powerbass 3XL 6x8
Powerbass 600.4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic