icon

car alarm swap, 97 toyota 4runner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
choover567 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
hey there, i have a 97 toyota 4runner and it has a factory alarm installed, the remote doesnt work, i dono if the alarm even works, anyways... i have a brand new alarm system and isntead of paying to get it installed, couldnt i swap out the factory alarm unit which is under my front seat for the alarm unit in my new alarm? would have to figure out which wire is which and use a few butt-connecters because the wiring harnesses are different, but is this a good idea or a no no?
thanks
chris
Chris - 97 Toyota 4Runner
Alpine CDA-9884
Kicker SX1250.1
Kicker 15" L7
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

im sure its do-able, but man.....what a hassle. unless your well versed in 12v electrical systems, you might as well pay a good installer to get the job done right on this one. you could make your brand new system a brand new pile of junk.

choover567 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i see what you saying but... im in avionics as my job so i know all the basic wiring... i was basically just wondering if i should or even can use those old wires... or just run new ones
Chris - 97 Toyota 4Runner
Alpine CDA-9884
Kicker SX1250.1
Kicker 15" L7
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
I think i would run new ones myself because i could do it way faster and know that is was right rather then trying to mess with the other ones. you might check to see if the starter wire runs through the factory alarm or not. if it does and you remove it you'll have to put that wire back together. or you could just install the new system and leave the old one in.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2008 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
ckeeler is right but I've done it your way subject to checking. Remove plug from module and see if vehicle starts. If it doesn't you will have to work out which are the immobiliser wires. I think the only parts you will have to wire separately are the siren and LED wires but I would solder and sleeve not butt connect unless you have aviation quality connectors and crimper. Your connections wil probably be power (prob x 2) light or haz output (prob and 2) ground, ignition standoff, lock/unlock x 2 (1 each neg) and door, trunk and hood switch contacts.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic