icon

can you use pvc for enclosure ports?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chriswfoster 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2008 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking about using 2.5-3 inch piping. Maybe bigger. Likely some kind of plastic PVC or something.
I'm wondering if it's going to produce a weird sound. I know that when you talk into a PVC it gives a weird echo sound or if you tap on it - you'll get a strange echo sound. Don't know how it'll produce bass.
Wondering if I'll get a nice quality from it.
This is going in a dodge cummins diesel truck or something like that. It's my neighbor's. He's got smoke stacks on his truck and was wanting to make his sub box occupying his back seat have smoke stack ports coming up - out and pointing at an angle.
Any yays/nays or advice would rock, thanks guys.
jayson33 
Copper - Posts: 165
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2008 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  

PVC pipe does not like vibration it will shatter over time e.g. cold winter morning when its 10 deg.F outside

I used work construction as pipe layer gas,sanitation,water,storm you get the point

My wife thinks bagging a truck means you kick it in the truck nuts
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
  PVC pipe would work just fine.
rickcperry 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2008 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, PVC will work just fine. Back in the day that's all you used to see. I will say that sometimes you will hear weird unwanted port noise...Think of when you blow across a straw. That's why they have flared ports now. And as for PVC shattering, Out of the several boxes that I built with pvc ports...I have never seen one broken from bass. Of course this was almost 20 years ago, don't know what has happened since! LOL
Before you just stuff some pipe in the box, remember to get the correct size and length port for the box or you will tune it to some crazy freq. I have never made the port come out of the box before. I would think that this would be ok as long as you keep the port size and length correct. Anyone else got any ideas about it???
Anything can be done with cash and relays!
biggidaman 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2008 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
pvc is great for ports it will not "crack" i've been doing car audio for 15 plus years never seen it. as for port noise take some sand paper and round out the ends inside and out side the pipe. that will accualy reduce port noise. some go's for mdf ports as well. always round those sharp edges so the air flows smoothly. you'd be surprise how much of a difference it will make.
Biggi Kustumz home base operation since 1998. car audio should be fun not work!!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic