icon

96 sidekick, starter cranks continuously

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
quietwind 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2008 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

Problem: just installed a "used" but known working remote starter. Testing installation; no problem with key start but testing remote start  engine starts as it should but starter circuit does not open after engine has started !!!!!

Installed Command Start model CS290i in 96 SIDEKICK SPORT !

My exact problem is when I start remotely; engine starts but the START CIRCUIT("Orange" on RS),   has been connected to ("BLACK/ Red" in ignition switch harness) does not open circuit once the engine has started!

If I momementarily interupt RS (chassis ground "green wire") the start circuit opens but RS senses a tamper  and shutsdown the engine!!!!

I tested actual BLACK/ Red wire in ignition switch harness and confirm it is start circuit but do I need a diode or relay of some kind? I decided to check voltage in circuit but it definately appears the +12 volt start signal from RS is remaining on after the engine starts! What's up with that????

I was wondering if it had something to do with tach reference signal not recognized; presuming possibly the RS doesn't sense  engine speed so it continues to crank! This is the second Suzuki with similar problem; different RS system, identical vehicle configuration and same problem symptom! 

Confused what to try as I can't run this RS without tach signal reference but I'm looking for experienced advice; could my problem be corrected if I wired tach signal (- negative input "white" on RS ) wired directly to injector???

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2008 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Connect the tach input. It may also need to be programmed. The starter keeps cranking, because it does not know to stop without a tach signal.
quietwind 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2008 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

I had it connected to what I thought was a tach signal! I don't know for certain but it is a negative input signal I need for the RS to function! If I use an injector signal at the computer which I haven't tesed the circuit yet but it looks like it would be a positive signal at pin #13 in connector #  E33 of the ECU.

This vehicle had an aftermarket cruise control which wworks and I found a tach signal lead for the cruise wiring; I then figured if the cruise works then I could just splice into the tach signal wire under the dash an I'm done.... no so easy!

If the RS responds to command to start from remote I was kind of thinking I likely wouldn't have to change anything since it was originally on a four cylinder vehicle before.

I'm almost positive it has something to do with the tach signal somehow but just not sure I can figure it out before I lose my hair!  

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
grab a meter and meter for AC when running.... voltage should ramp a bit with increased acceleration....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
albertatech 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
Get a wig just in case 96 sidekick, starter cranks continuously -- posted image.. Seriously tho GL man, can you program to run using voltage sensing? And Im not extremely familiar with CS but the systems I use shutdown if they dont sense the right tach signal. Not suggesting you change but consider why this isnt happening. CS is a decent brand I thought and would imagine it would carry this basic feature.
albertatech 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
P.S. a guy I work with installed a unit for a guy that the guy already had. Was one of those cheap cheap systems. The system had a failure that resulted in sticky relays on the starter circuit. What would happen if you tried replacing the relay you have for the starter, or also you could try tapping on it (the remote starts starter realy) with your screwdriver to see if it the works proper.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
i know with DEI units if you forget to learn tach first they will just crank and crank until they see it....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
Kgerry has the answer as does Jeremy. 96 probably still has a single coil ignition. Go to the side marked - or CB If separate coil packs and injectors, the injectors wil each have 2 wires. One colour is common to all, DO NOT USE THIS ONE. You wil then  have to programme it,
quietwind 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  

It is unitized coil packs at each cylinder; I think you all helped find the solution to both actually but as I understand I will have to reprogram with single cylinder option.

I get a reprieve for a few days so I will post the result sometime next week before I get back to it!

Thanks you very much for the great info!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic