icon

adding door switches to a keyless system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Hoss10 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2008 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have an 03 Dodge Neon that I am doing some upgrades on. Originally it was a base model car, a few years ago I added a Viper 850XV and power locks, using factory solenoids that I found from a donor Neon. All four doors are wired to two relays using reverse polarity, and it has worked flawlessly. I am now doing more upgrades to the car, including adding power windows & mirrors from a set of fully loaded doors I got off of another wrecked donor car. The new door panels have lock buttons that I have been wanting to tie into the lock system that I already installed, so that they can be controlled from inside the car by means other than using the alarm remote or manually pressing all four lock levers. What confuses me is the lock buttons only have two wires going to them, and typically I would expect it to have three. They have a green wire and a black wire going into them. How does this work, only 2 wires for a switch that is supposed to lock and unlock the doors?
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  
The Neon has a one wire lock system. What happens is the black is a ground feeding the switch and the green is out for both lock and unlock. It knows the difference between the two from different resisted values. If you press lock, the green wire has a 1K output, if you press unlock the green wire has a 250 output. There might be a way to make it work, but i bet the easiest solution would be to open up the switch and solder wires directly onto the back of the contacts to give you two separate wires to use...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Hoss10 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. Now I definitely see what you're talking about, after I posted this I went ahead and opened the switch up and kinda got an idea of how it works but now I see. So the soldering idea is definitely an option, but I think I just came upon the solution. After doing some measuring it appears that the power window switches are the exact same shape, mounting and size as these lock switches. And since a power window kinda works in theory the same way as a lock I took a multimeter to them, and sure enough they work just as any momentary 2-direction toggle would. So it looks like all I need to do is find two more window switches with the harness pigtails and I can wire them in and set them in place of the lock switches and they should work.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
I think one you set them up, take side to the alarms green and blue lock/unlock outputs before your  relays.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic