icon

alpine type r not loading

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ihtdave 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2008 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
trying to figure out a good way to install a good sounding system in my single cab chevy silverado.  I took out my center seat to make room for a 10" type r alpine and I am using a alpine mrp-450 amp.  the only way the sub sounds great is when it is way forward toward the dash and the windows are down.  It won't fit behind the seat and it sounds horrible when I try to load it backwards.  as a matter a fact if you put your ear down to it when its playing it sounds distorted like its clipping byt if you reduce power on the amp it has not much output.  also I have a base level alpine deck and it seems weird to me that when you adjust the frequency levels for bass it effects not only the interiors but also the sub aren't these suposed to be separate?
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2008 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Is it a dual voice coil? Maybe your coils are out of phase? If not, try outphasing both coils.
There is no such thing as free installation!
ihtdave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2008 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
yes its a dual 4 ohn wired to 2 ohms my amp is 400 watts at 2 ohms and the sub is 500 watts rms
ihtdave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2008 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

how do i outphase my coils and what does that mean? sorry kinda new

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
That's OK. First make sure one VC isn't wired backwords in relation to the other. If that's not the case, out of phase means amp positives go to speaker negatives and amp negatives go to speaker positives.
There is no such thing as free installation!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  
base model alpine deck does NOT have a sub preout...only a rear IIRC. meaning all of the controls affect the amplifier.
Usually i have best results downfiring in a pickup. If it sounds distorted when you have your ear up to it than the amp is clipping or the amp settings are wrong I.E. low pass crossover set WAY too high
ihtdave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
Yah everything is correct in the wiring and the amp is set to about 65 hz. The gain is about three quarters. Now when you say my deck only have rear preouts I don't get it because I have sub level control on the deck. But your prob right because if you tell the deck in the setup that there is no sub then it just looses the sub level control but the preouts still send voltage to my amp.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
Doesn't matter if you have a sub control or not...if you check the specs on your deck I'm pretty sure you only have rear preouts.
How did you set your gain??? Is there any boost on??
ihtdave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  
yah there is bass boost and it's set at around half.  I set my gain by basically listening to what the sub was doing.   at more than three quarters on the gain and half on the boost it really sounds bad at about three quarter volume.  I just don't feel that one of alpines more elite 500 watt subs should be doing this with a 400 watt amp.  when the sub sounds legit with no distortion when i have my ear to it, it has little ouput ( sounds like an amped 6by9) but if you look at the sub it seems like it is working really hard ( excursion is about half an inch with rock music).  As far as my gains and crossover on the amp I have used the way I tried to set this alpine up with all the JL audio subs I have always had and never had a problem, they have always sounding great.  The only reason I bought this alpine because it was recommended and I wanted a fully alpine vehicle, which to say the least won't happen again except for their decks.  I also guess I should of bought the next deck up but the wifey wouldn't approve.  So I spent more money on the sub amp and interiors.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

ihtdave wrote:
Yah everything is correct in the wiring and the amp is set to about 65 hz. The gain is about three quarters..

Change your LP filter setting to between 80-100Hz.  Read the "How to set your gain" sticky post and follow that.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic