the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

which direction to face a sub in a jeep?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deegz97 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

I am wondering which way I should face a 12" sub inside a Jeep Grand Cherokee - towards the front, or towards the liftgate? I am looking for a 'sound quality' type of reproduction. The sub will be in a sealed enclosure. Thanks in advance!

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  

Down..... if the sub will work properly down fired.

Someone here will post the formula for figuring this out!

whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

Down..... if the sub will work properly down fired.

Someone here will post the formula for figuring this out!

Sag = 24,850 / ( Xmax * Fs²)
You will get a percentage when you calculate this out. The percentage must be under 5% in order to be able to downfire you subwoofer.
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have my Alpine facing the liftgate and it sounds fine.
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

whiterob wrote:
You will get a percentage when you calculate this out. The percentage must be under 5% in order to be able to downfire you subwoofer.

What is "Sag" in this?

97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
Yeah it's a mutt, but mutts make the best dogs!
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
dangerranger96 wrote:

whiterob wrote:

What is "Sag" in this?

When you downfire a sub the sub will 'sag' due to gravity pushing down on the suspension. The weight of the sub causes the sub to sag. If your sub does not have a large enough Xmax or high enough Fs then the sag will be high. This means when you downfire your sub it can cause the sub to overexcurd which will result in the sub blowing.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

When you downfire a sub the sub will 'sag' due to gravity pushing down on the suspension.

Gravity does not push..... it pulls! which direction to face a sub in a jeep? -- posted image.

whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

When you downfire a sub the sub will 'sag' due to gravity pushing down on the suspension.

Gravity does not push..... it pulls! which direction to face a sub in a jeep? -- posted image.

Lol, as soon as I wrote that I knew someone was going to call me on that.which direction to face a sub in a jeep? -- posted image.
dangerranger96 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2008 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
is xmax in metric or standard(US)
97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
dangerranger96 
Posted: October 17, 2008 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
lets put it this way... I have a JL 12w3d2 and im trying to figure out whether this will work with this sub
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic