icon

2004 mercedes ml350, sub, amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pv13 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
My uncle just got a 2004 ML 350 and he wants me to install a sub and amp. I was wondering if there is any easy way to hook up the remote wire and rca cables, or do I have to use a line output converter. I only ask because I know some make it easier to tap into the stock stereo.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
Alot of that will have to do with your amp. does it have high level inputs? or just rca?
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
It has both inputs on it, but isn't it better to use low level inputs?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
In my opinion it is safer to use a line out converter.  Reason being, with a converter connected at the back of the radio, there is very little chance to ground a speaker wire.  Running speaker wires to the amplifier, depending on where the amp is mounted, you have a much better chance of driving a screw through it, or pinching it under a seat bracket, pinching it under the door sill.  With the cost of some of the newer output chips, that is if you can even find a shop to try and repair the unit, I really reccomend the Line Out Converter.
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
If I use an line output converter, how do I hook it up. I think the system is bose powered and the amp is located under the drivers side dash. Where do I hook up the speaker wires from the LOC and the remote wire from the amp? Do I connect them at the stereo or the amp.
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
At the amp.  Does the system have a subwoofer?   Do you have access to a digital multimeter?   How many wires are on the plug of the amplifier?  There should be 3 different sizes of wires on the amp.  How many of each size?
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2008 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
I won't be able to really look at the car until this weekend, but it doesn't have a subwoofer, I have a DMM, and I can't remember the wire gauges, but there were alot more than three. Possibly 20 wires, some of the twisted in pairs.
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 3:22 AM / IP Logged  
In those 20 wires, there should be 3 different SIZES of wires. If there are 4 pairs of twisted wires and they are the medium sized wires,I am thinking that they are going to be the speaker wires. I will check on this for you today.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  

ummmm..... I Am An Idiot, did I read your posts incorrectly or did you just do a 180 on the LOC?  You stated that you should run the LOC at the Headunit so that you don't pinch speaker wires running all the way back to the amplifier....

"Reason being, with a converter connected at the back of the radio, there is very little chance to ground a speaker wire.  Running speaker wires to the amplifier, depending on where the amp is mounted, you have a much better chance of driving a screw through it, or pinching it under a seat bracket, pinching it under the door sill" 

.... which sounds odd, considering that you'll be running an RCA in the same manner, with the potential to get pinched, etc. etc.  Then you told him to hook up the LOC at the amp...

"Where do I hook up the speaker wires from the LOC and the remote wire from the amp? Do I connect them at the stereo or the amp." 

"At the amp."

Not trying to be Johnny Do-good, but it sounded confusing.  I usually install the LOC at the best location, whether at the head-unit, if I know that it's a full-range out, or at the amplifier with speaker wires running to whatever speakers I pair off of.  If the ML350 has the Bose system, then you'll have to run the LOC off of the speaker wires at the speakers themselves.  Or you can tap them before going into the door boot.  If the Bose system has a factory sub, then you'll need to tap the sub for the signal, as the front and rear speakers will be high-passed at the amplifier.  If there's no factory subwoofer, then use the rear speakers as your signal because the fronts will still be high-passed.  You can tap the rear speaker wires in the B-pillar, then run them back to the amplifier and connect your external LOC.  Do you have to use an external LOC?  It's all dependant on the installer.  I use adjustable LOC's because not all headunits are created equal.

Be careful when finding your speaker wires in the lower  B-Pillar as the speaker wires AND the Seatbelt Safety wires are both twisted pairs.  The Seatbelt Safety wires will instantly tighten the seatbelt to help in a collision similar to an airbag.  Pull the door panel and check wire colors to verify you have the correct wires in the Pillar.  I was installing a amp/sub in a ML320 a few years back, found two twisted pairs, tested both of them with my meter, which both read around 3 ohms, and when I connected the amp up, BAMMM!!!! the seatbelt retainer fired off and hello to a $490 repair.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic