icon

mercedes fiber optics audio system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
manuelherrera 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
is there any way around this other than a amp bypass and replace all speakers is there a piece out there to interface the fiber optics or somekind L.O.C type thing?
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure...I had this problem in my friends C230 Kompressor. I was going to install an aftermarket HU and external amplifier still using stock speakers...but she's selling it now
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  

Wow. Are Mercedes' stereos that high of quality that they have to use fiber optics?

Or are they preventing aftermarket integration?

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 3:49 AM / IP Logged  
They have been using Fiber Optics for Many years. A real PITA. Fiber Optic from deck to amp, amp has crossovers built in. So you have to build crossovers for every speaker, or use Multiple Multi-channel amps to get it to sound as good as it did before.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
Fiber optic connection between the head-unit and amplifier.  If you want to replace the speakers and factory amp, then you will have to use a Clean-Sweep from JL or Rockford 360.  All speakers have crossovers built into the amplifier so there will be some channel summing done to give you full range.  The Clean-Sweep has a summing interface that is another outboard processer.  The front channels and the sub are summed while the rear speakers are full range.  There is also a microphone that will have to be disconnected that does real-time audio processing.  It will not affect the integrated phone or other functions.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 17, 2008 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
Howie.....where are you..... ?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 3:21 AM / IP Logged  

Funny you should say that I've got a integrate an iphone 3G into one next week, steering column conrols and music but leave everything stock, 2003 AMG 55 CLK Cabrio. The kit which is sold in Germany and North America but not UK, once imported will cost me $2000!

I've uploaded a picture of the Command units rear end and why any one would want to tweak that unless its  knackerd is well beyond me.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
so.....Is what your saying Howie... is .... DON'T DO IT?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  

The fact is if the head unit's OK why change anything especially if it's a Bose or H/kardon factory system. If you change everything's got to go, head unit by pass amps with new amps, change speakers, including new speaker mounting plates, plugs and connectors. Is it worth it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic