add flashing lights to alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jonb2 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
Thinking about buying motorcycle alarm which does not have flashing lights built in. It does have +12v output for a pager that can be used with the alarm. My understanding from the manufacturer is that this wire can be used to power a relay to light the turn indicators when the alarm is set off.
I am pretty new to electronics but willing to learn. Bike is a 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600. Any idea how I could hook up a relay (or use one already on the bike) to light up turn indicators when the alarm goes off?
thanks,Jon
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
add flashing lights to alarm - Last Post -- posted image.use this diagram. also, use an eletronic flasher not a thermal one, they flash too slow. a good one to use is GROTE part #44710. you can get one at any local CARQUEST parts store or MACK truck dealership.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

Jonb, on the 12volt output for the pager do they give you a current capacity for that wire.  If it is 200 MilliAmp or greater you will be OK using it to trigger the relay.   If your bike has no parking lights and you have only blinkers, you will need to power both the left and the right blinkers and diode isolate them.   You will need to use 6 amp diodes, they are available at RadioShack.  Let me know if you need a part number.   The below diagram is only necessary if your bike does not illuminate the blinkers when the key is turned on.

add flashing lights to alarm - Last Post -- posted image.

jonb2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks everyone for the replies!
One more question...I might be purchasing the Scorpio alarm. The alarm does not come with flashing LED warning light (like a car alarm would have). Do you know what I would need and how I can add that to this motorcycle alarm? How would I connect it so it would flash when the alarm is armed and off when disarmed?
thank you,Jon
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
Does that alarm have a wire labeled "Ground Out When Armed" If so you can get a 12 volt flashing LED from RadioShack. Connect the positive connection to a constant 12 volt power source, connect the ground connection to the wire mentioned above.
jonb2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. I don't believe there is such a wire on that alarm. I will need to double check with Scorpio alarm tomorrow. Can I tie into any other wire on the alarm that you know of if the "ground out when armed" wire does not exist?
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 4:44 AM / IP Logged  
I have yet to try this but I have heard from many here that it works. You can get the same 12 volt flashing LED from RadioShack. Connect the positive terminal of the LED to a constant 12 Volt source, and connect the ground leg of the LED to a switched 12 Volt power source. Apparently when the key is turned off there is enough ground potential on the switched wire that it will power an LED, they pull next to no current.
The LED will flash anytime the ignition switch is turned off. It will not be a good indicator for you but it will be a deterent to others.
jonb2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the hookup info on the LED. According to the alarm tech support people, there is a way to add an LED just as you described. One side goes to constant +12v, other side goes to a wire on the alarm that is ground when armed. Hopefully will get a chance to try it out this weekend when I install the alarm unit.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic