icon

amp buzzing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pv13 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

I just recently installed a cd, amp, and subs combo on my brother's 2002 Lancer/ not amplified, and there is a loud buzzing sound that is coming from the amp. I unplugged the rcas and the buzzing was still going on, so I tested the wires, and they all seemed good. The only thing that I had to do different on this car was grounding the cd player because the harness didn't have a ground wire.

The buzzing noise sounds like the fan in the amp going full blast

My guess is that something is wrong with the one of the ground wires, but even with a DMM, I am not completely sure on how to properly test grounds.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of amp is it?  Does it have a fan inside of the amp?  Have you removed the cover to see if the fan is hitting something?     
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
the amp is an Audiobahn a4002v, and it has a fan inside the front cover, but I haven't taken off the cover to see if it is hitting anything. This amp is only about a month old and it powers up the subs fine, but if I have the stereo on mute I can hear the amp buzzing in the trunk
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

If you do take the cover off of the amp, after you remove the (4) 2.5 MM allen screws, pick the cover up slowly, there is at least one plug you have to disconnect from the circuit board.

pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
I found the problem. I took the cover off and the circuit board for the volt meter was hitting the plastic housing of the fan making it buzz. I attached all four allen heads back to the cover of the amp, but I just didn't tighten the top two all the way down. Is it ok to have a little open space, or does the amp have to be tighten all the way down?
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
If a screw is not tight, it WILL vibrate out. 
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

The problem is that I can't stop the buzzing because the screws holding the volt meter circuit board to the amp are touching the fan. And I don't see how to fix it. If I keep like it is now with the top part of the amp not completely tight, at least I don't hear the buzzing when the stereo is on mute.

But, will the the amp not being completely sealed tight mess up the inner components?

i am an idiot 
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
No it will not hurt anything inside the amp.   Is the screw itself hitting the meter or the fan?   If the screw is too long.  Perhaps grinding the end off of the screw, or 4 washers between the cover and the sides of the amp.
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
I just added in some washers and now it works fine.
Thanks for your help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic