icon

using a common chamber enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
I had a question regarding common chamber enclosures. More specificatlly, sealed enclosures that are common chambers. What are the disadvantages of doing this?
I know that for ported enclosures having a common chamber is not a big deal. If one sub blows your other subs performance will be effected because the enclosure is twice as large then. However, for sealed I have heard many different things.
What I believe to be correct right now is that having a common chamber sealed enclosure is not going to give you ideal performance. Your subs will likely not perform as well as in a mutliple chambered enclosure.
I also have a question about mutual coupling. I have heard that because of this you can actually gain output over a mutli-chambered enclosure. You just need to mount the subs close together.
I'm just confused on what is actually true. I tried to search for this because I think I read this before somewhere but I found nothing.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

I can see a disadvantage only if each of two subs in a common sealed airspace are being fed separate stereo signals, which may cause a greater degree of cancellation.  Although most recordings in the sub range are mono, the possibility exists that a source may have different signals in that frequency range carried through the left and right channels.  Subs are typically wired together and fed a combined signal, which eliminates that potential problem.  Other than that, I see airspace as what it is...airspace.  The subs should function the same either way.

Vented subs, on the contrary, are more prone to damage if one of the subs should fail.  The quantity of airspace is more critical in a vented application than it is in a sealed.  Most of us (I think) recommend separate chambers in vented enclosures.

As for mutual coupling of subs, just say no.  There's too much to worry about in this day and age to have to also worry about what's going on in the trunk of your car.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

I can see a disadvantage only if each of two subs in a common sealed airspace are being fed separate stereo signals, which may cause a greater degree of cancellation.  Although most recordings in the sub range are mono, the possibility exists that a source may have different signals in that frequency range carried through the left and right channels.  Subs are typically wired together and fed a combined signal, which eliminates that potential problem.  Other than that, I see airspace as what it is...airspace.  The subs should function the same either way.

Vented subs, on the contrary, are more prone to damage if one of the subs should fail.  The quantity of airspace is more critical in a vented application than it is in a sealed.  Most of us (I think) recommend separate chambers in vented enclosures.

As for mutual coupling of subs, just say no.  There's too much to worry about in this day and age to have to also worry about what's going on in the trunk of your car.

Wow, that's surprising to me. I have never heard that having a vented enclosure with a common chamber could be worse then a sealed. I am also surprised that there is not a problem with a common chamber sealed enclosure (I know there is still disadvantages).
I am guessing what I heard about vented enclosures is if they were working just fine. If the subs were working fine would using a common chamber have less of an effect on a vented then a sealed? I can see the disadvantage if one sub was to blow. I have seen more common single designs with ported then sealed, though, which may be why I thought this.
Wouldn't there be mutual coupling everytime you use a common chamber enclosure or would it be so small that it wouldn't really effect anything?
It seems like evertime I think I know something I am totally wrong. I don't know where I have been getting my information from but it is always the opposite of what the truth it.using a common chamber enclosure - Last Post -- posted image.
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
One more question....
Say if I designed a sealed enclosure with a single chamber would you guys recommend that I made it multi-chambered?
I would mostly be doing it for looks so would it looking really nice be worth any disadvanatages?
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

why would a common chamber look different than a box with seperate chambers?  I can't rap my mind around any type of box design that if it had one chamber, would look different if you seperated the subs.

Also, I disagree with the notion that most people focus on what happens when the subs blows.  You're last problem in that scenario, is if the box is the wrong size.  You should be focusing on the fact that you did something wrong in the install that would cause your sub to blow in the first place.  Keep the focus on what the subs do in a box while they are healthy, not when they die.

whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
megaman wrote:

why would a common chamber look different than a box with seperate chambers?  I can't rap my mind around any type of box design that if it had one chamber, would look different if you seperated the subs.

Also, I disagree with the notion that most people focus on what happens when the subs blows.  You're last problem in that scenario, is if the box is the wrong size.  You should be focusing on the fact that you did something wrong in the install that would cause your sub to blow in the first place.  Keep the focus on what the subs do in a box while they are healthy, not when they die.

The enclosure I was questioning has a plexiglass front so you can see the two subs. If the enclosure was seperate chambered the middle piece would be running right down the middle of the plexiglass and it would look ood.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 21, 2008 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
In that case aesthetics would be very important in the design.  You would choose a single chamber.  But keep in mind that you are still giving up the important center brace as well.  The absence of a solid brace in the center imposes much more of a disadvantage than the number of chambers.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic