icon

alternator and engine noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joselmartinez 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
hello everyone, I new in the forum and looking for some help.
I recently change all my system and after the installation i get a lot of engine noise and alternator noise.
the install was like follows:
Alternator: a 250 amp Ford alternator modified to use a voltage regulator, so it generates from 10.5 to 18 volts.
Power wire: upgrade to 0 gauge from alternator to main battery, to second battery, to capacitor, to distribution block.
Ground wire: upgrade to 0 gauge from alternator to engine, to chasis, to battery, to second battery, to capacitor, to distribution block.
Amplifiers: 1 Memphis st-1600d to subs (2 10"Ascendant Audio)
1 Autotek 500s to mids (4 5.25" Crossfire)
1 Pioneer Gm6300 to Highs (2 Crossfire - 2 Lanzar Opti)
Sound Processors: Audiocontrol LC7 to convert the signal from factory head unit
Lanzar optix 10 Crossover
All remote signal came from a switch wich it's feed from the distribution blocks.
also the ground fee for all equipments came direct from the battery, there's no chasis or metal ground.
along all this installation i ran oxigen free rca wires.
when i turn on the engine i hear a whine noise and when i trun on the lights i hear a disgustin alternator noise.
can anyone help me find out what or where did i go wrong, cause i've been strugling with this for the last 4 weeks and still the same.
I'll appreciate it.

I almost forgot that the current power to the system is 15.3v, thru the voltage regulator of the alternator, it is like that, because I'm a car service driver and we use a trunk mounted 2way radio wich uses this power to transmit at 225 watts ( the average is 65 used by goverment agencies) so you can have an idea.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Did you run the power wire on the opposite side from the rca's/speaker wires?
'85 Toy
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
You didn't list your head unit.  What is it?  How is it grounded?  Also, is your transmitter on when any of this noise is detected?  Is the ignition system in this truck fully shielded?  Are any of the amps or any of the RCA cables running over or mounted near the ECU?
Support the12volt.com
joselmartinez 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

supradude wrote:
Did you run the power wire on the opposite side from the rca's/speaker wires?

yes i did.

joselmartinez 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
You didn't list your head unit.  What is it?  How is it grounded?  Also, is your transmitter on when any of this noise is detected?  Is the ignition system in this truck fully shielded?  Are any of the amps or any of the RCA cables running over or mounted near the ECU?

I'm sorry, It is a 2005 Lincoln Town Car with the factory head unit, that's wy I'm using the audiocontrol lc7. no the transmiter is off. can you enlightme about the ignition system shield?, no wires for the amps or RCA are running near the ECU,  the LC7 it's mounted on the trunk due to space availability.

joselmartinez 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

this are the pictures of the istall

**EDIT** Please include your pictures in your post.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

Bypass the Lanzar piece and see what happens.

supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
These are hard problems to find sometimes. Try changing out piece by piece to eliminate which one is faulty. Start with the Lanzar like "i am an idiot" suggested first. Lanzar equipment isn't what it used to be. That could be the culprit. Good luck.
'85 Toy
joselmartinez 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

ok, maybe there's possibility in the lanzar, I will bypass it and see what happens, also I will heat up the welding points on the groun of all the equipments, I'll post the results...................thanks guys

wduson 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
I have corrected my alternator whine problem recently by ultimately buying a well constructed ground loop isolator. But before you even consider that, try to ground all components (Head Unit, EQ, Amps, etc.) to a sanded down part of metal in your vehicle. Sand paper is key to removing the paint in order to get down to the metal.
No matter what, noise will be present but the level of noise is based on gains and sensitivity of your speakers. After adding a ground loop isolator to my system, there is no audible alternator whine or buzzing when headlights are on.
alternator and engine noise -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic