icon

08 kia optima imobliizer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
notchback5.0 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
My GF recently purchased an 08 kia optima 4cyl. I have already found the info for remote start located here
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~102054
It says I need a Pats Kia 1 which is fine, but according to everything I have read, I need some sort of programming device to program the immobilizer bypass unit. My question is are there any devices out there that will learn the key without requiring a dealer programmer, or if someone can explain who would be able to program the immobilizer, and what I should expect to pay for something like that. I have read I may be able to use a universal device like Dei 555U which uses the spare key (Never liked these units as a spare key is in the car). I have installed other DEI units which learn the key but am unable to find one for the Kia. Any help would be appreciated.
notchback5.0 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
Also, I have read that only Canadian models have the immobilizer. Thanks for the help in advance.
notchback5.0 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
sorry, I keep responding to my own posts but I cant edit. I do not think it has an immobilizer because the car came with a "valet" key which is all steel, and does not have the plastic at the top of the key where the "chip" would normally go. Hope this helps... I am getting ready to buy a remote start for her as a present, and am just trying to make sure I get all the nessecary parts so the install goes smoothly. Again, thanks for the help in advance.
caraudio904 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
right for some reason kia in canada is the only ones that use anti theft. an theres is transponder style. american versions are as easy to wire as a 92 chevy caprice
Southern Stylez
Jacksonville, FL 32218
notchback5.0 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2008 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
So then is the wiring information provided the same, or do american versions have a different wiring schematic. I am assuming it is the same but figured I would ask. Also, someone may want to edit the schematic to reflect only Canadian versions require a transponder.
caraudio904 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2008 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
nah from what i've heard an understand the wiring is the same, the only dirrerence is the anit theft on the canadian version
Southern Stylez
Jacksonville, FL 32218
jerg89 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
my gf has an 05 optima and it has the anti-theft

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic