icon

dome light 4 dr trigger

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
watchdaride 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  

When installing alarms on newer vehicle with a wire for each door and you need to isolate each one. Is it possible just to hook up to dome light direct ?

watchdaride 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

found this on another board to prevent false alarms when the BCM goes to sleep . Would it work ?

----ok here is the easiest way to overide the gem module is to wire a relay and use the dome light wire. I dont even use the door triggers anymore. this is how I do it( ford integratesthis into their own alarms now) use a relay and connect the ground when armed output of the alarm to pin 85. Give 12v to pins 86 and 30. Now this is the hardest part - You need to meter out some resistors to equal 10,000 ohms(10k) attach them to pin 87 and the other end to a wire that runs to the dome light wire. This will proved enough so the alarm doesnt fault every 30 minutes. I bet you have the Blue instant trigger wire attached to the gem module and it shutting down that circuit. If so I would just use a mercury switch and call it a day.

megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
that post is about the Ford GEM modules that go to sleep after a few minutes.  This won't work with the idea you have about hooking up the dome light for a door trigger.  Most newer vehicles have theater lighting, meaning that the dome lights don't turn off immediately after the door is closed.  In these vehicles, you will get a false, "door open" chirp upon arming the vehicle.
watchdaride 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

So is there any way around not having to get each individual door  and going to the dome light . Maybe some combination of relays ?

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  

This is not a black and white question. The answer  is sometimes yes and sometimes no. If the alarms you use have a way of delaying the door trigger(like DEI and Avox) you can, but always. Some you can are Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas. Some Fords you can(like Explorer and Expedition) and some you can't(like Mustang). Most GM's will false when the BCM sleeps if you do. Most Chrysler stuff will work, but won't if you turn the interior lights off at the switch.

As you can see it all depends. Is there a specific car in mind?

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2008 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
Some alarms (like mine) has a feature on it that will delay the door trigger input. with my car, I have the domelight as the door trigger. When I close my doors, the domelight will stay on for a few seconds. With this feature I have on my alarm, I can actually arm my car with the domelight still on. It will bypass that its still on and wont actually start monitoring it until everything else is monitored which is 10 seconds. If your alarm has this feature, then you can use the domelight
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2008 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

noobie4life wrote:
Some alarms (like mine) has a feature on it that will delay the door trigger input. with my car, I have the domelight as the door trigger. When I close my doors, the domelight will stay on for a few seconds. With this feature I have on my alarm, I can actually arm my car with the domelight still on. It will bypass that its still on and wont actually start monitoring it until everything else is monitored which is 10 seconds. If your alarm has this feature, then you can use the domelight

Again, that's not always true. Try it on a GM truck and it will false every 20 minutes...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2008 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
The simple answer is if the dome light shuts down within 2-3 seconds after arming the alarm you've just instaled which locks the door such as BMW, VW and Hondas, then yes but I've noticed that some cars eg  UK Ford Focus, when you arm it the dome light will stay on for about 40secs and even dialling this into the alarm won't help, personally I use diode blocks, as the 1076 but you can use a relay, more expensive or just take a10Kr from your door contact wire to a live source.
watchdaride 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2008 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

This is not a black and white question. The answer  is sometimes yes and sometimes no. If the alarms you use have a way of delaying the door trigger(like DEI and Avox) you can, but always. Some you can are Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas. Some Fords you can(like Explorer and Expedition) and some you can't(like Mustang). Most GM's will false when the BCM sleeps if you do. Most Chrysler stuff will work, but won't if you turn the interior lights off at the switch.

As you can see it all depends. Is there a specific car in mind?

so which cars have a sleep mode?

ford

chevy

chrysler

honda

toyota

nissan

mazda

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic