icon

are high power subs better?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tjsiegfried 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
I like the looks of and comments I've seen about the Hifonics Olympus subs. The ones I'm considering run at 1600 watts rms. To keep within my budget I could either get one high powered sub, or two lower wattage subs (i.e. Hifonics Brutus at 600 wmrs or Alpine type R at 500 wrms). Aside from any difference in amp and space requirements, which is better?
For a better apples to apples comparison, if I were to only buy one sub and could either go with the high powered Olympus or one of the lower powered subs ... what is the benefit of the higher powered sub (other than being a penile enlargement)? In addition to the cost difference, I know the higher power amp requirement and possible issues with the electrical system (dimming lights) would be a negative.
This will be going in a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse with a custom ported box. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated ... I'm very new to this stuff. I listen to rap, hip-hop, reggae, latin rock, metal and some techno. I'm 43 but I do like hard hitting heavy base. It'll be for daily driving ... no plans to compete.
Thanks,
Tim
schizophrenic 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2008 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
There is no replacent for displacement. I'll take two 10" subs over a single 12" or 15" without a worry. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve, SQ or SPL. 
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2008 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
If SPL is what you are looking for then there are a couple of ways to accomplish this. The first would be to get a system with the highest wattage. The higher the power the more decibels you will have.
The benefit of a high power handling sub would be that you can give it more power and thus have more SPL. Another way to get SPL would be to increase the cone area of your system. That means two subs would be louder then one sub (assuming the same efficieny rating, same power given, and sub size).
Doubling the cone area will add 3db.
Doubling the power will add 3db.   
These are theoretical values so expect less then this in actuality.
One other important thing to look at is the efficieny rating of the sub. Say you have two subs, sub A has an efficiency rating of 93db and sub B has a rating of 90db. That means sub A will need half the amount of power to get as loud as sub B. So you can see that this can be an important spec when looking for loudness from a sub.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2008 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
Well, first off, HiFonics are garbage products, so buying those on power rating alone, is a PERFECT yard stick.
Now, comparing OTHER manufacturers products specifically by power rating cannot be answered with a yes or no. It is going to depend on what your desired result is, what your application will be, the car, your listening habits, the power you have to drive them...
If all you want is loud, buy the HiFonics, beat 'em with as much power as you can afford in a big 40Hz vented box, and be happy with it.
Between the Alpine and the HiFonics, I would BUY the Alpine before I'd let somebody GIVE me the 'Fonics
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2008 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

schizophrenic wrote:
There is no replacent for displacement. I'll take two 10" subs over a single 12" or 15" without a worry. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve, SQ or SPL. 

Then you need to re-think your statement about displacement. The 15 has the largest amount of surface area and there fore has the largest displacement It also has the most mass to move back and forth...a trade off to "Some" degree.

I'm sure one of the Mods can give you a link that shows the fomulas to figure out surface area...Hey Haemphyst you have a link for this one to "DO" the math?

schizophrenic 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2008 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
Oops! 2-Kicker L710's
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Ummmm... prolly!
But just because two 10's might have more surface area than a single 12, it doesn't necessarily mean they have a longer stroke. We've also been over this topic before, as well...
Throw has little to nothing to do with the total output of a woofer, and as I've said before, extension, YES, but output, no. Power handling will not necessarily make a woofer louder, either, regardless of it's applied amplifier power.
Here, Jack... read this thread... As far as figuring displacement? Easy. Published Sd times either published (for theoretical displacement) or measured (for actual linear displacement) Xmax.
Another good thread...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
schizophrenic 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks! I do agree with you and also speak from personal experience.
tjsiegfried 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2008 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Well, first off, HiFonics are garbage products, so buying those on power rating alone, is a PERFECT yard stick.
Now, comparing OTHER manufacturers products specifically by power rating cannot be answered with a yes or no. It is going to depend on what your desired result is, what your application will be, the car, your listening habits, the power you have to drive them...
If all you want is loud, buy the HiFonics, beat 'em with as much power as you can afford in a big 40Hz vented box, and be happy with it.
Between the Alpine and the HiFonics, I would BUY the Alpine before I'd let somebody GIVE me the 'Fonics
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Regarding manufacturer, based on comments I've read hear and elsewhere it sounds like I can't go wrong with Alpine and that Hifonics are geared more toward the crowd looking for low priced SPL.
Regarding SQ versus SPL, these are new terms for me. There's the obvious implications ... with SQ you're going to get better "quality" and with SPL it'll be loud but may(?) lack quality. Between the two I think I'm looking more for SQ but I do want to be able to feel the base while listening at moderate levels. A few reasons I don't think I need to go for SPL (which gets me more into the application, listening habits, etc issue) ...
1) I have no plans to enter SPL competitions.
2) I'm 43 years old and still have excellent hearing (we get tested at work every year)
3) I'm well aware that being exposed to 90+dB for prolonged periods will damage your hearing.
4) I'd rather not spend extra money going for the high power (subs and amp) if I don't need it.
5) I'm more interested in how it sounds (and feels) while I'm driving the vehicle, listening to music at moderate levels.
6) I'm not interested in rattling my vehicle apart, wizing off the neighbors or getting tickets.
Regarding the issue of two lower powered (12 inch) versus one higher powered (12 inch) sub [i.e. two Alpine type R's versus one Alpine type X], I understand there's more to the issue than power rating alone but am starting to think the two type R's would be better overall. If it were you, considering the vehicle is a Mitsubishi Eclipse (small hatchback), would you recommend going with one type X or two type R's? Also, what other subs would you recommend I consider that are in the same approximate price range?
You mentioned Hifonics are garbage products. Does that refer to their amps as well (that's what I've been looking at)? If so, what amps would you recommend (that are in a similar price range to the Hifonics)?
Thanks,
Tim

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic