icon

subwoofer rca to regular 18 gauge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thxlinc 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2008 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the LOC info. I see I have some learning to do and because there is more to SUBS then plug and play, I will research more of what is filed on this site. Great information!!!!
thxlinc 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2008 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
My sub mounted will be the following type (as taken from 12 volts own sub library)...
..."In any free air application, the back seat and surrounding panels should be removed to seal any possible areas where energy could be lost. It is crucial to separate (seal) the back wave of the loudspeaker (woofer) from the front wave of the loudspeaker. If not, bass cancellation will occur. This is also a good time to rid and deaden the trunk and surrounding areas of any unwanted noises and rattles."...
Can someone please clarify what is meant on how one SEALS or separates back wave from the front wave? I am having a hard time visualizing what is described. If the sub is mounted on the rear deck, in a traditional speaker mount, with opening facing the back seats rear deck and the back facing the inside of the trunk, how can one "seal"?
klctexas 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
In the rear deck like that, that is your 'seal'. What they mean is that you want to have no possible air escaping from anywhere that it could then reach the front side of the speaker. In your chosen location, your rear deck acts like this, you will just need to deaden the rear deck and entire trunk with sound deadener. This is what is sometimes calle 'IB' or infinite baffle setup. When the sound coming from the front of the speaker and the sound coming from the back of the speaker reach each other, they cancel out most of the bass.
Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.
thxlinc 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

klctexas wrote:
In the rear deck like that, that is your 'seal'. What they mean is that you want to have no possible air escaping from anywhere that it could then reach the front side of the speaker. In your chosen location, your rear deck acts like this, you will just need to deaden the rear deck and entire trunk with sound deadener. This is what is sometimes calle 'IB' or infinite baffle setup. When the sound coming from the front of the speaker and the sound coming from the back of the speaker reach each other, they cancel out most of the bass.

Sound deadening...you mean like dynamatting the rear deck, assurring no air leaks where speakers are attached to deck, tightening down any deck attachments etc....correct?  Thanks for the 'IB" note, that is easy to understand now.

I have to say to all who have been commenting and helping me out, THANKS!!!!!!!! Between what I read from the comments and what is in the library here, I am really learning alot. This is sweet!

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
When we originally designed the Lincoln THX system for the Lincoln LS, the subwoofers were mounted in an enclosure shaped like a tray that attached to the underside of the rear deck.  Does the MKZ version use that same arrangement, or are the woofers hanging in the air, visible from the trunk?  If they are already mounted 'free air," your trunk is probably already properly sealed from the cabin.
Support the12volt.com
thxlinc 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn,

The MKZ has them visible from the trunk, but the MKS has the "tray" lining you talk about. The "cloth like lining" inside the MKS trunk hides the underbelly of the speakers. Not so in the MKZ. I would love to find similiar "cloth" that I can pre-form to cover the trunk side of MKS rear deck where the speakers are.

You said "we" in the THX system design. So you were part of the THX team? EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whadupdoe 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
I am trying to hook up an amp and my subs but my rear deck bass speakers blown and you wrote use the factory amp output to drive the loc or grab the line-level input to the amp and take it out of the system altogether. so i dont really grasp what that means. I have an loc so my question is i am just splicing those wires on the fact. amp to hook up my loc to right? and how do i know which wires to hook it up to and know which is negative and positive and my loc has 4 wires. 2 for each rear just how do i know which ones to hook it up to? thanks for your help. sorry im terrible with this stuff
whadupdoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
cars an 06 lincoln zephyr with navi and thx audios ystem
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

Does the factory sub still play?  It does not matter if it sounds bad, I just need to know if it still produces sound.

whadupdoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
yes it plays put pops and rattles like crazy. so should i just disconnect or how shouldd i hook it up? thanks
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic