icon

amp noise, sub pop

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ikethegoalie 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2008 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
Hopefully I can get some good feedback not only to help me, but others who may experience the same problem. First let me outline the install.
2006 Colorado Crew Cab
Kenwood DNX7100 In Dash
2x Alpine Type-R components (front and rear doors)
2x Rockford Fosgate P500-2 2 Channel Amplifiers (powering the door speakers)
3x Pioneer Premier TS-SW1041D in a custom fiberglass box
1x Rockford Fosgate P1000-BD Mono Block
The amps are mounted along the back wall with the signal cables run down the passenger side of the vehicle. The Power and Remote turn on are run on the Driver side. The whole thing is powered off of a 0 gauge wire off the battery to a distribution block and from there to 4 gauge wire out to the amps.
Same deal with the ground, 4 ga. out of the amps into a distribution block, then grounded under the seat belt bolt on the passenger side.
My problem:
When the volume is turned all the way down on the head unit, I get the faintest whining sound, and it does react in tune with the alternator. Also, the vehicle is drive by wire, so when i tap the gas, I get a faint popping through the tweeters. The problem is not noticeable with the volume up, but knowing that it is there is mildly irritating.
my other issue is, whenever i change cd tracks or radio stations, I get this thump from the subs. They sound fine when they are playing but like i said change a track "whump" and its not super loud, but noticeable.
Any thoughts on where to even begin with addressing these issues. I have tried ground loop isolators and that didn't do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, plus i know im probably not the only person with this issue
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2008 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

Grounded under the seat bolt.  This is not a good idea and may be the source of your problems.  You need a proper ground: I recommend reading the "What is a proper ground" sticky post.  Also, you probably need to ground the head unit separately from the factory wiring harness.

Support the12volt.com
ikethegoalie 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
the head unit is run to a chassis ground., im going to scope out that sticky, thanks for the heads up

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic