icon

adjusting controls on amplifier?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
may_or_may_not 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

I just installed amp & sub woofers...and it just doesn't sound right!  I have read the intructions on how to adjust the levels, but I just get more confused *** they're not written beginner friendly at all. adjusting controls on amplifier? - Last Post -- posted image.

So if someone can explain to me what these controls do, what I should have them set at, and how to adjust them properly I'd very much appreciate it!!!!

1. What is HPF and LPF? I know it stands for "High Pass Filter" and "Low Pass Filter", but what that means exactly I don't know!

2. On my amp I have a switch labeled "X-OVER" that has three different settings "HPF", "LPF", or "FULL". I don't know which setting to use.  I know it works with question 1, but again I don't know how to set them correctly.

3. On my amp I also have a switch labeled "MODE" that can be set on "Stereo" or "Mono".  I have it set at Stereo for the fact that it is a 2 channel amp and it is connected to my 2 10" speaker box. I may be wrong but that's how it looks like the manual is telling me to connect.

4. My "BASS BOOST" is switched to "On" for the fact that's what I'm using it for (Bass Only).

5. On my amp there is a control labeled "LEVEL" and in the manual it states it's the "Sensitivity Control". What does that mean and how do I set it to get the most Bass?

Well, that about covers it.....I hope someone is willing to take on the challange!!  If you do decide to answer, please keep it as simple as possible......I confuse easily adjusting controls on amplifier? - Last Post -- posted image. !!!! 

Thanks

may_OR_may_NOT
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Cross over and filters work the same, low pass mean low freq (bass) is passed on and higher freqs are stopped. High pass means high freq is passed on and lower freqs are stopped. Full means nothing is stopped, all freqs pass.
You want to use LPF.
I imagine the stereo/mono switch is for the output and is how to select if you want it bridged. This would depend on how you wired the subs. There isn't much need to run the subs in stereo mode, I would put both pos on one terminal and both negs on the opposite channels neg and run the amp in mono. This should bridge both channels together. (providing your amp is stable at that impedance)
I wouldn't mess with the bass boost, leave it off until you feel more comfortable in playing with the settings.
Gain/Levels is the one you need to play with. I don't know less fancy way to do this, but the I've been taught is to set it to all pass, hook up my 1 watt speaker, play a 1kHz tone, set the volume to my highest listening volume, and adjust the gain to the highest setting without distortion. Once you have that set, you can switch back to LPF and hook the subs back up. It might take a little more tuning for the subs, but it will get you very close.
There is a way to do it with a DMM, but I just don't trust most models of amps to perform at spec.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

In carrying out what reax222 has suggested, you should:

• determine the impedance of your subs when combined
  • look at the amplifier manual specs page to see what impedance is listed for spec under the "mono" configuration.  That will be the lowest acceptable impedance you can load the amp with.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
there is a thread in this forum called "How to set your gains" you should read it, as it sees to cover exactly what your asking here.
may_or_may_not 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, Thanks for the replys.  After the first two replys, I'm still alittle confused adjusting controls on amplifier? - Last Post -- posted image. !!!!!!!  I'm off to see if I can find the thread mentioned above.......I'll be back to let you know if it helped at all. 
may_OR_may_NOT
may_or_may_not 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I found & read the thread "How to set your gains"  and I'm still confused!  adjusting controls on amplifier? - Last Post -- posted image.  I'm sure it might be helpful if I knew what to set the controls at before I tried to set the gains!!!!

As mentioned in original post I am confused about which settings I should set my amp.....

1. Should the switch labeled X-Over be on HPF, LPF or FULL?

2. Should the switch labeled Mode be on STEREO or MONO?

I have my amp hooked up to power my speaker box only (just for Bass)!!!! It's a 2ch amp, my box has 2 10" speakers (2 wires from back of box, so each speaker has it's own L/R wire.)

If someone could advise me on these two questions I may be able to move on and try to adjust the gains.

may_OR_may_NOT
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
You need to set it to Low Pass.  There should be a knob near the switch with different numbers on it.  This is the crossover frequency adjustment.  I do not like anything near 100 hertz coming from my subs.  You should try it set to about 80 on that knob.   The mono stereo switch on some amplifiers determines if one or both input jacks work.  No idea on your amp, so to be safe set it to stereo. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic