alpine type x problem, set up change?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mpg100 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

My setup is in my signature.

I have the single Type-X in a sealed enclosure (1.0 cubic feet I believe) and it had been sounding great since a april install...I was really pounding it the other day when the subwoofer started to go in and out, upon closer inspection it appears I have seperated the voice coil. I spoke to several people but I recognize you as the experts...

I was told that the pdx 1.1000 is potentially too much power for a single type x 12"

I would prefer to keep a one subwoofer setup, if I get a ported box and another swx-1243D will it prevent something similar from happening?

What one -subwoofer setup would u reccomend for the pdx 1.1000 that will have a great mix of reliability, sound quality and power if not a ported type-x?   (w7 sealed/ported, etc.)

2002 Acura TL
Kenwood DNX7100
Alpine TypeX 6.5"(4)
Alpine PDX4.100
Alpine SWX1243(1)sealed
Alpine PDX1.1000
Optima Batteries(2)
Upgraded alternator
Directed 7" screens
lnhiv 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
A single Type-R can handle a PDX-1.1000 when tuned properly. It sounds to me like you had your gains set improperly on your amp. I'm not 100% sure on that as I'm not completely competent on how the PDX amps work. Either that or the sub had a manufacture defect in it.
2003 Chevy Cavalier coupe
mpg100 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
I had the headunit controls for my subwoofer at +5 so that may have been too much power, I'm not sure.
2002 Acura TL
Kenwood DNX7100
Alpine TypeX 6.5"(4)
Alpine PDX4.100
Alpine SWX1243(1)sealed
Alpine PDX1.1000
Optima Batteries(2)
Upgraded alternator
Directed 7" screens
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
the Type X can handle more than 1000 watts rms....My friend beats the crap out of this two Type X's.
Seems like something went wrong with the power.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

mpg100 wrote:
I had the headunit controls for my subwoofer at +5 so that may have been too much power, I'm not sure.

No... and that has nothing to do with the question about how your gain is set.

Support the12volt.com
lnhiv 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
mpg100 wrote:

I was told that the pdx 1.1000 is potentially too much power for a single type x 12"

Whoever told you this does not know the alpine product line obviously. Like I said, a Type R can handle 1000w (they're rated at 500) - Type X should be fed at least 1000w to run well (these are actually rated at 1000). Go look at your amp, and find the gain control...what is it set to??
mpg100 wrote:

I would prefer to keep a one subwoofer setup, if I get a ported box and another swx-1243D will it prevent something similar from happening?

A ported or sealed box isn't gonna make a difference for you when it comes to the life expectancy of your sub.
I'm going to expand my further opinion and say that either your gain was set improperly, your sub was defective, or your amp is defective. I'm still betting on the gain, though.
2003 Chevy Cavalier coupe

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic