icon

2004 grand prix astrostart?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Its been a while since I've done a starter in one of these cars but I do remember they have a lot of issues if not installed properly. I've done them before, but I don't remember what I did for a proper install. Been that long. I remember there being a few issues with gauges going off at random times as well as the car not starting with the key due to the factory transponder system seeing 2 keys.
Im installing an AstroStart 2205. I have access to bypasskit modules so Im using an XK01 with firmware programmed for GMDL5X.
I've also heard that going to the BCM for power is a bad idea as its not strong enough over time a remote start. Any truth to this?
I just don't want problems with this car so if anybody who is familiar with this install, could you shed some light on the situation for me? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

green6767 wrote:
Its been a while since I've done a starter in one of these cars but I do remember they have a lot of issues if not installed properly. I've done them before, but I don't remember what I did for a proper install. Been that long. I remember there being a few issues with gauges going off at random times as well as the car not starting with the key due to the factory transponder system seeing 2 keys.

GM cars dont use a transponder system. they use a resistance based system that is built into the lock cylinder. the number of keys has nothing to do with anything. the keys themselves have nothing to do with anything.

never pick up the main power for a remote start unit at the BCM. i dont even get my main power for a remote start unit from the ignition harness. run one or two 10ga wires under the hood through the firewall and go straight to the battery. fuse them at the battery with 2 20 amp fuses. use the constant 12v in the ignition harness for anything else. 

green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Anything else than can actually help me with the install. I've been installing for over 8 years, I know the "ins and outs" of 12V electronics. Im just asking for advice for the specific car and its known problems. Thanks.
I also forgot to add that I know the XK01 only takes care of the lock/security portion and I do need to use a "loop" style bypass for the PKIII transponder system used in this car. These cars have had issues with the data solutions type bypasses for the key so the PassKey III system needs to be bypassed via an RF solution to be programmed so the vehicle is seeing an additional key at startup. There are lots of options for this from "key wraps" to RF modules that program as another key. Im most likely just going to use a simple loop system and stick one of the factory keys an RF style bypass kit.
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

green6767 wrote:
I also forgot to add that I know the XK01 only takes care of the lock/security portion and I do need to use a "loop" style bypass for the PKIII transponder system used in this car. These cars have had issues with the data solutions type bypasses for the key so the PassKey III system needs to be bypassed via an RF solution to be programmed so the vehicle is seeing an additional key at startup. There are lots of options for this from "key wraps" to RF modules that program as another key. Im most likely just going to use a simple loop system and stick one of the factory keys an RF style bypass kit.

555U, or have you ever made one yourself using a relay?

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
the 04 GP DOES have a transponder key.... any newer GM vehicle that is PK3 or PK3+ has a transponder key.......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2008 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
Specific stuff on the '04-up GP...
If you want to connect to the heavy gauge power to the BCM for your remote start, that's fine. If not, you could make it easy and run 18-gauge wire to the battery, fused close to the terminal at 10A.
The ignition switch wires are low current as are all the other wires you'd connect to.
For bypass - I've used the PKU-GM. Worked well once I connected it properly(ignition power instead of constant on the red wire). I needed to use a relay activated by the keysense wire to interrupt it when a factory key was inserted, however(the Service Theft System message kept coming on).
If you get that STS message - cycle the ign. on and off 7 times and it goes away.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic