icon

first alarm 03 cavalier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lnhiv 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2008 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
Long story short...I've never installed an alarm before, and I'm looking for any hints/tips/suggestions to help me do this. I already have the wiring diagram that I got from an old post.
I have a Viper 5002, with a 506T audio sensor, a hood pin switch, and a 515R Battery Backup Siren. I don't have remote start, there's no power windows or doors, but my car does have a trunk release button. Here's my list of questions:
1) What's the best place to put the mic for the 506T in my car, or any 2dr car for that matter? Also to set the sensitivity, does tapping keys on the window really work that well (like indicated in the instructions)?
2) Can I just splice my second siren (the 515R) in with my main siren when I hook it up? (I was thinking one under the seat, one in the engine bay).
3) How do I set the shock sensor; ie, is there a given methodical way to do it? Or do I just play with it til I think it's good?
4) What's the best way to tap into my car's wires, connection-wise? Vampire clamps, butt splices, crimp caps, t-taps, etc.? I know soldering would be optimal, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much time under my dash in one day.
5) In the near future I will be adding power locks (524t) to my car...how easy is it to tie them in if the alarm is already installed?
6) The wiring diagram I got for my car from this site's database says that my trunk release (-) is at the actual switch in the trunk. I'm guessing this is just a normal ground like any other cause the button is just a simple momentary pushbutton switch. So then I can just ground out this lead at the brain, correct?
7) How do I wire up my hood pin switch? A quick wiring diagram would be great. It's a normally closed spring loaded switch if that helps.
Sorry it's a long list, but I'd rather gets options/opinions before I start this. I do have a friend who is a professional installer and does alarms like there's nothing to them, so I'll be picking his brain too. Unfortunately he's never available to actually help with installs.
Thanks a lot in advance guys.
2003 Chevy Cavalier coupe
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2008 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
1. Centrally located in the vehicle between the two doors. A center console is usually a good place. They work off of sound waves so its better not to cover them up. This is to detect anyone trying to use a slimjim or metal on glass (center punch) to shatter your windows. This usually is not enough to set of the shock sensor (if it is you will have many of sleepless nights if you live on a high traffic road)
2)Yes you can just splice into your main siren
3). Theres no tried and true method depends on the vehicle usually pounding with a fist on the door pillars (this approximately simulates the force needed to peel your lock)
4). I use T-taps accept for power wires on remote starts.
5). Easy, the hardest part is getting the actuators in the sweet spot and the linkage just right. you will need the negative or ground siting relay diagrams found on this site. (click on the relay link at the top of the page).
6)According to my information your trunk release is positive BLACK/ white located at the BCM (Body Control Module). Your trunk TRIGGER is negative and is ORANGE / black located at the BCM
7). Hood pin switch is easy the pin will ground itself through the body where its mounted (if its mounted through metal) Mount the hood pin in a place that is inside of the rubber gasket you don't want leaks and it will help prevent the pin from rusting. Simply connect a single wire to the tail of the pin switch and connect that to the hood pin wire from the alarm. When the hood is closed the pin and contact will be open. When the hood opens the spring will force the contacts together grounding the wire.
lnhiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2008 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for your reply.
1) I think I've got a good location for the mic now...it'll be in front of the center console on the outside of my dash piece (the dash extends to the floor right there without actually connecting to the console, so it'll be hidden between the two, but in open air).
2-5) awesome and thank you
6) This is exactly what I needed. Now when look underneath the dash I know what I'll be looking for.
7) again, awesome and thank you.
lnhiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2008 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
Another thing...my brain's wiring diagram has a wire for retained accessory power, and I already get what that is, but do I connect that to my primary or secondary accessory wire or both?
For the trunk, I would then connect the ORANGE / black trigger to "(-) Instant Trigger Input (trunk input/shunt), Zone 1" on my brain, and the BLACK/ white release to "(-) 200 mA Channel 2 Output" on my brain (it says in the note below that this is most commonly used for the trunk release)? I understand that the Channel 2 Output can control anything, but this is by default programmed to the * button on the remote which is the one I want to use for my trunk.
Sorry I'm asking a lot of questions, like I said, this is my first install, and already you've added/corrected the info I've found so far (no other diagram had the trunk trigger wire in it).
sneakycyber 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2008 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
For the accessory wire I am not sure I can't find a manual online if you could post the description I can give you a definite answer. Yes on the trunk trigger and yes on the trunk release just remember to use a relay for the trunk release since its positive and you alarm has negative output.
lnhiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2008 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
Ok good deal on the trunk release...I gotta run to radioshack to get some diodes anyways...how many amps does that need to handle? A 1amp relay should handle it just fine, correct?
Here's a better description about the accessory stuff:
I already have Retained Accessory Power in my car (I have a Class 2 harness). Do I need to hook up my brain's RAP wire to my accessory in order to keep this? Or is that wire on the brain just there to add RAP? And if I do need to hook it up...my car has a primary and secondary accessory wire, I believe I would need to hook it up to both (I remember reading this on a cav forum a while back with someone else that was having issues with their alarm).
sneakycyber 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2008 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
After researching It is my understanding that the wire is to add RAP to an older vehicle that does not have that feature. The alarm can achieve this by supplying power once ignition 1 is turned off and removing power once the door trigger is activated. You do not need to connect this wire. For the relay I could never find what I needed at Radio shack. You can get them HERE this is where I order my parts from. You may be able to find them at an auto parts store there usually in the lighting department. You can use an SPST or SPDT relay. There is a less expensive model down the page for 1.69 that works great. You can get T-taps there as well.
lnhiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2008 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
How many amps does the relay need to handle?
The only other thing I need to figure out is my parking light flash...my diagram for my car doesn't show whether my parking lights are positive or negative.
sneakycyber 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2008 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
Around 10 amps. and the wire is BROWN / Positive and found at either the switch or in the drivers kick
lnhiv 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2008 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome...you've been a ton of help, thank you so much. The alarm itself should be here tomorrow and I'm getting the rest of my various parts today (diodes, relays, connectors, etc).
I'll most likely install it next weekend. I'll post if I have any more questions.
Thanks again.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic