mpyre m65 mids, crossovers info?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
falconyellow 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2008 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1679
Does anyone have experience with these tweeters? They look good on paper...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2008 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
The Scan Speak ring radiators are quite nice, but I've never heard the Vifa/Peerless version.  This is for a car, right?  Try these:  http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_245_313&products_id=1466
Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 13, 2008 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
falconyellow wrote:
I was looking at the HAT L1's, but they are pretty spendy. The Tang Bands look way more attractively priced but a little big. I'm certainly not above "trimming them down" to fit my application though. I'm a little curious about the 8 watt RMS rating? Is that without any high-pass or what?
Thanks for your help so far!
I wouldn't worry about that rating. I don't know how they determine their power handling ratings, but they are probably just more conservative than other companies. With a properly designed crossover, they should work fine with most any amplifier. Dan Wiggins told me they were "a kick-ass tweeter". My home speakers use a beefy Usher tweeter rated at only 10 watts, well below what my receiver powers them with. And I've never had any problems.
falconyellow 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2008 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
The Scan Speak ring radiators are quite nice, but I've never heard the Vifa/Peerless version.  This is for a car, right?  Try these:  http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_245_313&products_id=1466
I've actually got one of those sitting in my tool box, I was going to buy another and just try it out. The Fs is about 1200 versus the Vifa D26nc05 at around 1800, so they are a step up in that regard.
I have seen 0 reviews of that vifa xt25 tweeter but the free resonance frequency is super low like the speaker Steven is recommending, at about the same size and price.
falconyellow 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2008 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:
I wouldn't worry about that rating. I don't know how they determine their power handling ratings, but they are probably just more conservative than other companies. With a properly designed crossover, they should work fine with most any amplifier. Dan Wiggins told me they were "a kick-ass tweeter". My home speakers use a beefy Usher tweeter rated at only 10 watts, well below what my receiver powers them with. And I've never had any problems.
I can only assume it's rated without a crossover and I'm certainly considering it regardless of that rating.
I don't know if it's a huge deal with any of the speakers we're talking about, but I'm not going to be able to aim these at all. I.E. they will be aiming straight at each other, so the near side will be totally off axis and the far side won't be as much. As it sits right now, I have to fade my stereo to the driver side (near side) because of that. My question, is if one type (ring radiator or dome) will be better than the other in off-axis response? Is that totally dependent on the driver itself?
Thanks again.
falconyellow 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
So I finally got around to fabbing up some new baffles for these things and I must say, I am very impressed by these speakers! Without changing anything on my crossover and just bypassing the EQ, the response was very flat and sounds really good. I'm going to be swapping out for the Seas 27tffnc/g speakers recommended above (had one and just ordered a second one to match) and try those first before attempting to go with anything that plays lower. In the mean time, all my worries about a sucky midrange are alleviated, these things are very good all around.
Initially I did have a knee jerk reaction to want to dial out some of the mid-bass frequency with the EQ because it sounded a little heavy to me, but I think that was more a function of me not being used to it being correct, rather than these speakers over-doing it. I quickly ran and RTA with it and it looks pretty flat, so I'm blaming my ears for that one. The transient attack (drum hits, etc.) is really solid.
Once I get the right tweeters installed and some time to tune it, I'll let you guys know what I find, but for now I'm stoked! These are a great speaker.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic