icon

high pitched noise from system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shagdrum 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I am pretty sure it is the 4 channel amp!

Here's why...

I went to reset the gains again with a 1000Hz test tone, but this time I unhooked all the RCA cables accept for the the "channel 1" (LF) cable. Then I disconnected the "channel 1" (LF) set of speaker wires. When I started playing the test tone, I could hear it coming through the rear speakers (though at somewhat less volume, but definately noticable and not at all faint). I disconnected the rear speaker wires (so only the RF speaker was connected), and didn't hear anything...until I had it and just below full volume ( "30" to be specific, and the volume goes from "0-33"). So, it looks to me like it is the amp. Would I be wrong in this diagnosis?

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

Channel Separation

Also referred to as crosstalk. The amount of interference on one stereo channel caused by the leaking of the other stereo channel. The higher the rating in decibels (dB), the better the Channel Separation.

shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
...so would I be correct in thinking it is the amp?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
It is normal for most amplifiers to have crosstalk, (this is what you are hearing) when driving one channel, the others will get signal from that channel and faintly play as you are describing.  Perform the same test with someone elses amp, same results will be there.  No I do not think it is your amplifier.  Did you try the I-Pod directly into the amp yet?
shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

I don't have an adaptor for the Ipod

shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
The noise from the other speakers is not that faint... it is probably around 1/2 to 3/4 volume of what is (or should be) coming out of the speaker channel hooked up; and that is only the rear speakers. The other front speaker without a channel hooked up has no noise at all until very near full volume then there is a slight popping and it starts playing the signal at around the same volume as the rears.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic