icon

battery draining, radio runs on rs alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
n2bigdogeh 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2008 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Guys. I was hoping to find some answers to a couple of questions. I have a 2005 ford f150 lariat that has all the bells and whistles. But it didn't have autostart so I purchased a radiostar alarm and engine starter system. I've hooked it up but am having a couple of issues.

The main issue I have is that when I use the autostart and then shut it down with the remote, the dimmer light will  eventually go off (which is good) It is on a delayed timer, but the radio will keep playing until I open the drivers door. So if I try to warm up the vehicle and let the time expire and not need to drive the vehicle, the radio continues playing eventually draining the battery. This is not good.

The radio has always continued playing after the ignition was turned off, before the alarm was installed. It then turned itself off automatically when the driver opened the door and exitted the vehicle. That was normal. But now I think I need some kind of input so that when the vehicle shutsdown from autostart mode (after 15 mins of running) , the radio also turns off...

I have also hooked up the power lock wires, but the remote will only unlock the doors if they are locked. I haven't installed any diodes, and have wired it as the drawing showing a negative triggered relay driver system. The door lock wiring diagram shows relays and I am assuming they are already mounted in the vehicle electronics? I have a feeling that I should have wired with the drawing that is negative multiplex and shows a BCM. The diagram calls for an unlock resistor (if required) on the blue/black wire and a lock resistor (if required) on the GREEN/ black wire

more questions

Is an unlock resistor the same as a diode? can anyone tell me if I need this resistor and how would I know?

Just starting to read up on this stuff... Great forum!

thxs,

bigdogeh

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 02, 2008 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
     Power Unlock          LIGHT GREEN          (-)          POWER MASTER SWITCH IN DRIVERS DOOR          
     PowerLock          PINK          (-)          POWER MASTER SWITCH IN DRIVERS DOOR
To get the Radio to turn off after a remote start, you need to pulse ground on the wire that tells the vehicle that the door has opened. Following is the location and color of the wire. Somebody else will have to let you know how to do it.
     LF Latch          RED          (-)          BECU PIN 14 OF A 16 PIN PLUG
BECU IS ATTACHED TO PASSENGER FUSE BOX BEHIND GLOVE BOX
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 6:25 AM / IP Logged  
The radio will time out on Fords if you just wait a little while. I think it's like 10 minutes till it shuts the BCM down...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
n2bigdogeh 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Guys,

Hey thxs for the speedy and very helpful responsees.

I was reading the instal manual and noticed that there is a wire that sends a negative output when the autostart shuts down. Looks like that would be the wire to try with iaai's info...

Anything for the diode/unlock resistor questions?

noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2008 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
You have the RAP (retained accessory power) feature on the vehicle which will cause the radio to keep playing until the driver's door is opened.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2008 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
Diodes and resistors are absolutely NOT the same thing. Resistors oppose current in both directions, diodes in only one direction. In any case neither should be required for your truck.
Your install manual evidently(I've never done that brand) includes diagrams for most types of doorlocks, but you'll never use more than one on any vehicle, and your truck is a simple straight negative trigger.
For the locks - can you elaborate? The Radiostar remote will unlock after its own lock button is pressed? Or after the truck is locked with the factory remote?
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic