Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
krannie 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2008 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys.

I have been searching this and other forums for the answer:

Who makes a Head Unit with digital output that will do standard 2-channel sound? I don't want 5.1 channel, I want to try to create ultra-hi-fi in my car using a high-end DAC to my Zapco.  Most of the 'experts' I have talked to say either 'why would you want to do that?' or ' you can only get multi-channel from the digital output of car stereos'. I know back in the day all Sony CD disc changers had an optical output, and it worked great for this application.

Any suggestions?

Damn the wattage! Give me more current!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
You should be able to tell the deck what kind of signal you want from the optical out. If the deck offers 2-channel AND multi-channel audio on the analog and you can switch them back and forth there, the optical SHOULD behave the same way.
Oh, and thank you for your distaste for "multichannel" in the car. I agree wholeheartedly.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
"Oh, and thank you for your distaste for "multichannel" in the car. I agree wholeheartedly."
Count me in!
krannie 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  

So, does anyone have FIRST HAND experience with getting two-channel output from a HU's digital output?

Every 'salesman' I have spoken to is clueless. The Pioneer rep and the Eclipes rep both said there is no such thing as 2channel from digital ouput in car stereo. I know they are sadly mistaken, but I don't know which decks offer this feature.

I am looking for HIGH FIDELITY from the least amount of parts in the signal path:

HU > DAC > 4 channel Zapco > Morel separates front and rear

HU > Subout > Zapco Mono > .577Q sub

krannie 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2008 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

...oh, and here is the DAC I plan to use:

http://www.onhifi.com/product/perpetualtech_p3a.htm

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
The days of the Super High End components have gone. The Pioneer ODR, F1 Status, and Sony XES were the systems of choice for your application. You might be able to get a McIntosh or Denon unit used.
You are dealing with a 50-70db noise floor absent from the living room. The nuances you are looking for might not be there even with a home DAC.
Very few outboard DAC were made, the demand for Digital wasn't there. Not many have experience with Opti outs. Now units that do have them are feeding multi channels out to other processors, usually their own. The connectors are easy, Sample Rate/Clocking is another story.
IMO the Eclipse CD7200MKII, analog out to the Zapco's would be respectable. Zapco is certainly an excellent choice. The Symbilink system is reliable and very low noise I passed on the Morel Elates' for the Seas Lotus. Tweek home and Tweek auto sound lines don't often cross for good reason. Deck, Symbilink, Amps. Done.
krannie 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2008 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

audiocableguy wrote:
The days of the Super High End components have gone. The Pioneer ODR, F1 Status, and Sony XES were the systems of choice for your application. You might be able to get a McIntosh or Denon unit used.
You are dealing with a 50-70db noise floor absent from the living room. The nuances you are looking for might not be there even with a home DAC.
Very few outboard DAC were made, the demand for Digital wasn't there. Not many have experience with Opti outs. Now units that do have them are feeding multi channels out to other processors, usually their own. The connectors are easy, Sample Rate/Clocking is another story.
IMO the Eclipse CD7200MKII, analog out to the Zapco's would be respectable. Zapco is certainly an excellent choice. The Symbilink system is reliable and very low noise I passed on the Morel Elates' for the Seas Lotus. Tweek home and Tweek auto sound lines don't often cross for good reason. Deck, Symbilink, Amps. Done.

You are probably right: I am going down a path of the past, and it will not be an 'off-the-shelf' solution, I'm sure. My goal is to get the most liquid midrange possible inside my car. I have extensive technical background in acoustics, Psycho-acoustics, Passive filter therory, High-end loudspeaker design, etc... this is not a 'guessing' project for me, as I know the net results I can possible achive in such an environment (car). That being said, I have done the same thing with my Home Audio system: I am able to get $ 3,400.00 CD sound from my $369.00 DVD player and a used PT $ 249.00 DAC. I want to get the same 'economies of sound' in the car, as much as possible. I personally find 95% of all car stereo to be a real mess when it comes to Phase Linearity, and Transient Intermodulation Distortion (TIM) , and worst of all, JITTER!

. All the rest of the specs are just ink on paper, and can be manipulated for marketing reasons, so to me they are meaningless.

I just want that massive image 'bloom' you get with real high-end components, and I think I can do it if I find the right head unit, DC/AC convertor, regulated balanced AC/DC power supply,  DAC, Amp, speakers, and all the right cables to get the Timber balanced. I have the DAC, Amp, and speakers already.

raverx3m 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

theres another option.

go check out mp3car.com

install a car pc, alot of motherboards come with either optical digital or analog digital output.

if not you can add a soundcard to it that has an optical out

google is your best bet.

i have searched for something like that ong time ago and found a few units that have that capacity

but they were not a namebrand unit.

the most popular built in DAC is burr brown which by now is like a hemi engine... an advertising trick.

pioneer still has their DEH-P800RPS model for sale

ALPINE DVA-9861 has an optical output

krannie 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2009 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
raverx3m wrote:

theres another option.

go check out mp3car.com

install a car pc, alot of motherboards come with either optical digital or analog digital output.

if not you can add a soundcard to it that has an optical out

google is your best bet.

i have searched for something like that ong time ago and found a few units that have that capacity

but they were not a namebrand unit.

the most popular built in DAC is burr brown which by now is like a hemi engine... an advertising trick.

pioneer still has their DEH-P800RPS model for sale

ALPINE DVA-9861 has an optical output

The Pioneer has no digital out, and I don't want to use a 2.3v BurrBrown dac, I want to use a 15v Home Audio DAC. That is why I need PCM format digital output.
What is the point of mobile PC? How do you control the media server without a keypad or a remote? I don't want a convoluted system, just a head unit, a dac, amp, and speakers, nothing else. No DSP, 5.1, EQ's, time alignment, nothing. None of that stuff makes sound better, only different. That's why mobile audio is dead: it all sounds terrible now, like Pro Audio.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
If you care I have an old Alpine head unit that has optical output for 2 channel. No internal amp but clearly that wouldnt matter to you.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic