icon

harman kardon drive+play issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stclark13 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

ok so here's the story i purchased a 2005 subaru legacy gt limited a few months ago and the first thing i wanted to do was integrate my ipod into the factory sound system. Now for those of you who don't know, this car has auto climate controls so i cannot replace the radio so this is not an option for me. So there is a member of my legacygt.com forums who had a company manufacture a aux input piece which daisy chains the cd changer cable inside the radio and allow a 3.5mm jack to be plugged in for any device. So i purchased this piece along with a ipod plug to 3.5mm cable and a GLI for any ground noise. Work fine sounded good. So then i found a great deal on a harman kardon drive+play on buy.com for $20! Couldn't pass it up so i got it, installed, hated it. The sound quality was horrible, after tearing my hair out i removed the GLI and the sound got better but still not a whole lot of bass response. My question is why is this? Aux in to aux out should be the best option but sound is horrible. The piece i ordered obviously works cause it sounds good with just a mini-jack and the d+p i swapped out to rule out a bad unit but the same issues. I even installed in into my wifes nissan sentra which has a dedicated aux in and it sounds great. Any ideas i love the ease of use with d+p and don't want to get rid of it. I'm even contimplated buying a jl audio cleansweep and 5 channel amp and going all out but rather not. Any ideas would be appreciated sorry for the long story.

fiberglasslvr 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

here at my shop we have tons of sound quality issues with the drive and play and stopped using them a while ago.

now as far as changing the radio out it is possible all you need is these parts

Metra  70-8901 harness

and

Metra  99-8901 dash kit and thats it

in process of changing everything
stclark13 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info, do you have any ideas on differents units that may work better? Also that kit is for manual heat controls i have auto and it won't work. I can mount the radio in the pocket above the center console but not a huge fan of having 2 radio i think it looks wierd.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic