icon

opinions on wire config

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
carhigh 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2008 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Two 2003 nissan sentras (she calls them the twins). Both came with 7 speaker systems. tweets in the front pillars, full range in the front doors, full range in the rear deck and a something like 6" sub in the rear deck which actualy has a factory amp in a container under the magnet. Neither is a rockford head unit, just the basic cd player.

I got 2 boxes and amps still left coming for delivery. I took apart my sentra today and got the kenwood head units and 6 1/2 3ways in very late in the day.

Each car is getting a kenwood head unit, 4 - 6 1/2 - 3way kenwoods, and a 4 chan amp to run the 2 rear 6 1/2 kenwoods and bridge the remaining 2 channels for the 12" sub in the boxes. I am also getting a free pair of tweeters with each single 12" box, but im sure they are gonna be trash. Ok, maybe a bit better than the factory tweets up front in the pillars......who knows.

I have a few options on hooking up this stuff. Id like to keep the pillar tweeters, which ever ones i end up using. Lets say the factory tweeters for now. As they come hooked up, they are run with a little cap on them (filter type diod?) and are run along with the front door speakers.

I was thinking maybe, since im not going to be using the rear speaker output on the radio for the rear speakers, maybe i should drive the tweeters with that hookup. Or am i better off just hooking them into (as they are now) the front door speakers?

If i run them off the radio's rear output, ill get more power to them, no? And running the pillar tweets with the front speakers will rob the fronts of a little power?

I know a bit about all this stuff from teenage years, but the ohm stuff never really sank in. The factory front door speakers say 4ohm on them. The tweeter i think are the same. Does that mean that running together off the radios one output for thefront they were running 2ohm? I think the answer is they would be running 8ohm, no? Kinda dont get that oh thing.

Thanks for any help
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  

Use the cap on the pillar tweets, wich ever tweets you decide to use . Hook the pillar tweets and the front door speakers up to 2 channels of the amp........Hook the rear 6.5 speakers to the rear speaker output of your kenwood Head Unit........remaing channels of amp to the sub(s).......Make sure you properly set the gains on your amp

04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

so according to this you can run 1 tweet and 1 front mid on one channel of the amp, which will give you a 2 ohm load on 2 of the channels, but is it also ok to run 1 each of the back speakers of 1 each channel which would give a 4 ohm load?

question is, can you run 2 channles at 2 ohm and 2 channels at 4 ohm (providing it is a 4 channel amp)?

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
Impedance is relative to frequency. If you are running a 4 ohm 6 1/2" full range speaker and a 4 ohm tweeter with a capacitor on a single channel, the impedance below the crossover point of the capacitor will be around 4 ohms. Above the crossover point of the capacitor, the impedance will be around 2 ohms. This of course is a generalization without knowing the exact impedance curve of each of the speakers you are using. 
opinions on wire config -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
04nata 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
so for my simple MIND (amd I mean simple)  if I run a 4 ohm mid (6.5) and a 4 ohm tweeter together on one channel, I can basically count it as a total 4 ohm impedance????????????????????
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
If you use a proper crossover, yes.
opinions on wire config -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
04nata 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
I use the crossover in the amp, and whatever comes assembled to the tweeter
carhigh 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
I dont think either of these sets of tweeters are going to live if i put an amp to them. I was going to see how it went with just the front 6 1/2 kenwoods off the radio power and if i felt i needed to put an amp to them, just later on add a small amp under the dash.
I am in the middle of installing stuff in my car and still havent decieded weather i should drive the tweeters off the rear HU output, or just leave them connected in with the front door speakers as the factory installed them.

I should probably hook them into the rear output of the HU.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2008 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
 if your not going to use an amp....leave the tweets connected in with the front door speakers as the factory did
carhigh 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Damit!!!!! Got the amp running the sub and rear deck speakers, front doors running off radio front output and pillar tweets off the rear output on radio and it sounds like CRAP !!!!!!
I SHOULD have listened !!! There is way to much in the rear and i CAN NOT hear much of the front at all, including the tweeters, LOL

So, im gonna change the rear deck 6 1/2's back to the radio rear output. Run the front door 6 1/2's and the tweeters off the amp with radio's front RCA's.

The 6 1/2 front door kenwoods and the tweeters are both 4ohm. What is the best way to connect them to the amp? The amp is stable at 2 or 4ohms. And as ive said, that ohm thing has been a bit confusing to me since forever. I know i have two choices, series and parallel, but not sure on which would be better.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic