icon

viper 160xv in 2001 toyota 4runner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
batook 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2008 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

Trying to install Viper 160XV Remote Start in 2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5. No factory alarm.

1) Does the '01 4Runner have an immobilizer?  I cannot get it to start with remote, it just cranks the starter but the engine never starts.  In tach check mode, (menu option 2-2), it tries to start 3 times, then quits. Each start try is about 1 second of starter cranking.  I tried setting it to engine check off mode (menu option 2-1), so that it would just crank the time set in menu option 2-5 (cranking time).  I set the cranking time for the max (4 seconds), and it just cranked for 4 seconds and never started.  Normally the car always starts after about 1 second of cranking with the key...so I think it must have an immobilizer.  If so, which kind should I get, that will be compatible with the 160XV?  Will I need to put a factory key in it?  Is there one that just clips into the 160XV or is additional wiring required?

2) I can't find the brake light wire.  The wiring information I have says that it is a GREEN / WHITE wire, at the switch above the brake pedal.  I see at least 4 WHITE/ green or GREEN / WHITE wires there, none of them seemed to turn hot when brake pressed.  It is EXTREMELY difficult for me to access these wires by the pedal, so if there is an alternative location where I can more easily access the wire to tap into it, please share.  Otherwise, I need help locating the exact wire for the brake light if it can only be accessed in the cluster of wiring clips above the pedals.

Thanks for any help.

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2008 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

this vehicle does have a TRANSPONDER ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM so you will need a bypass. there are alot of type out there, just research them and get the one you think will be the easiest for you to install.

the brake light wire can probably also be found in the driver side kick panel or in the driver side door sill harness  going back to the rear of the vehicle, but you will HAVE to TEST to find your wire. ONLY use a DMM.

batook 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2008 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks.  I'd prefer to not lose a key, and from my research, the DEI 555X should do the trick.  As long as it comes with installation instructions it shouldn't be too much trouble.  Are most of the wires I need to connect located in the ignition harness, or will I have to locate the ECM?

As for the brake wire, if I do find one in the kickpanel or driver's door harness, would it be defeated simply by pulling the brake light fuse?  I would think tapping into that wire before the fuse panel would be ideal, but if that means working under the pedals, maybe its not worth it.  Anyone know a "trick" or good method of getting to the brake wire, or is it just a pain no matter what?

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2008 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
I could be wrong but i thought the 01 had an option for immobilizer. Easy to test, place the key in the igntion switch without turning it on. Try the RS, if it works you need a bypass. There are easy bypasses for Toyota, i personally don't care for the 555x. The FLTB1 from Flashlogigs is a simple 4 wire install and all connections are made at the igntion switch. As for the brake wire, nomatter where you get it pulling the fuse will stop power so that isn't possible. Easiest spot is low in the drivers KP in the harness to the rear, GREEN / WHITE...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
batook 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2008 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the post Mike.  Very helpful.

I did try to test the RS with the key when I was working on it this weekend, but I didn't use the factory key, only a copy, so it didn't work, and obviously inconclusive results.  I'll have to try agan with the factory key w/ black top.

A quick google and ebay search didnt turn up any sources to buy Flashlogics FLTB1.  I agree, it does sound like a better option with only 4 wires, since the 555X has like 8.

I will check the kickpanel for the brake wire, that sounds easier to get to.  Seems like pretty weak security b/c anyone who realizes the car has been remote started will likely pull the brake fuse so as not to kill the engine when driving off, which unfortunately on the 4runner is in the cabin fuse panel.  But if I was that worried about car theft I'd get an alarm/RS combo, so I can't really complain.  I can see that cars with the brake fuse under the hood, there's some point to wiring the hood wire to kill the engine if its opened, but in this case its pretty pointless from what I can tell, unless I'm overlooking some other reason.

I suppose I could remove the brake fuse at the fuse panel and solder it shorted, then hide a fuse at the wire behind the kickpanel.  Then again, the brake pedal trick is only going to fool the amateur, opportunistic car thief, so maybe I'm giving them more credit than they deserve by assuming they'd know to pull the brake fuse before trying to drive off...

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  
Brake fuse is a moot point. Thieves have to rip out the key cylinder in order to be able to turn the steering wheel, and once that's done they can just manually turn the switch to run if the car's been running.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  
Chris is right, don't worry about the brake. The wheel and the shifter are still locked.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
As far as bypass modules:
Do they even still make the 555X? I don't think hardly anyone uses that anymore.
Trilogix (bypasskit.com) XK05 would work, but wastes a ridiculuous amount of time.
www.idatalink.com or the Audiovox-branded www.flash-it.com modules work great, and I think there are one or two splices at the ignition switch, and one wire you have to cut.
www.ifar.ca has the KEY-OVERRIDE-ALL or the KEY-OVERRIDE-SL2. They're both the same to install, although the ALL costs a few dollars more. They're the easiest module for Toyotas, in my opinion. Three splices inside the steering column, but no cutting of any factory wires.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo:
Bypasskit.com lists the 555X when you search by vehicle but their online ordering doesn't have it listed, so it's inconclusive whether they still make it or not. Their PKT is basically identical in operation to the 555X however so I'd think since the DEI merger they would have stopped.
As far as the XK05 it doesn't have a firmware for first-gen Toyota transponders, just the newer style. PKT is actually not bad(i.e. connections are made at the key cylinder, not the ECM.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

The Idatalink is the same unit as the Flashlogics and runs about 54 bucks. Easy install as Chris describes above. Here's the link...

http://www.idatalink.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=97

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic