icon

viper 160xv in 2001 toyota 4runner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
batook 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2008 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had a chance this weekend to mess with it again, and I tried the RS with factory key in the ignition.  It still doesn't start..

Maybe I have a wiring problem?  Maybe the 160XV is malfunctioning?  What I can I do to isolate the problem and get this thing to remote start?

I tried with the key in all 3 positions (off, acc., and on) and it only tries to start in the "off" position, but never starts the engine, just cranks and quits.

The only thing I see on the key cylinder is a square box with 2 blue wires running into it, and there is another wire clip by the ignition harness that has 2 WHITE/ black wires, one yellow/red, and one blue/red.  Not sure if anyone can tell from that if an immobilizer is there or not?

Please, any help greatly appreciated.

batook 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

UPDATE:  Ok, I have a little more to add from my tests.  I switched the engine check mode to "ON" again, so that it would use the tach wire and not just try to start for the set cranking time.  I am confident the tach wire is working (testing w/ AC voltage on my DMM, was variable with engine rpms).

Anyway, when I tried to start the car with key in "off" position, still nothing.  But when I turn the key to "ON", it DOES start with remote.  However, it doesn't matter if I use the black factory key or a key copy, it starts with remote if I have it in the "ON" position regardless.  When the car starts, the 160XV keeps "clicking" on and off, like it still wants to try to start, or doesn't "know" that the car has started.  If I turn the key back to "off" the 160XV tries to start again, which makes sense b/c I still hear it clicking when the car's running like it wants to keep trying.  The 160XV makes a total of 3 start attempts when in tach mode, so after I start it the first time with the key in "ON", it tries two more times after I turn the car off and then it quits.  I can turn the key to "ON" again after I turn it off from the first start, and when the 160XV tries to start again, the car starts again, but again, it keeps clicking on and off like it doesn't know it started.

so...a little help?

batook 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2008 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

SOLVED.  The 2001 4Runner wiring diagram that I got from DIRECTECHS was wrong.  The DirectWire 2.0 Quick Print says Ignition wire is BLACK / YELLOW and Second Ignition wire is BLACK/ red.

I found this post here: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~45050 which had them listed the opposite.  The correct wiring is:

Ignition wire     BLACK/ red

2nd Ignition wire     BLACK / YELLOW

I switched the wires and it works with remote now, so no immobilizer on mine.

Last time I listen to DEI's misinformation...

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2008 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
I think you still sort of have a problem with your install - Ignition 1 and Ignition 2 should be 12V at exactly the same times, and it shouldn't have made a difference switching them around. In your case the pink/white sounds like it's programmed as Accessory(drops to 0V during crank).
You definitely want to change that program setting - Toyota commonly uses one ignition wire to power the engine control circuits and the other to power the electronic transmission controls.
It's hard to say what will happen as a result of the transmission controls not getting powered during crank, but Toyota designed it to have power than and it'd be best to replicate that.
Also you've already realized this, but your truck doesn't have an immobilizer at all based on your description of the key cylinder.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
batook 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2008 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks chriswallace.  I didn't realize the ign2 pink/white wire was programmed in accessory mode, which appears to be the case.  I'll check the programming and make sure that wire is set to "second ignition" mode.

Last thing I want to do is cause mechanical damage/tranny problems due to this thing.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic