icon

HU Install problems with stock amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trdgts 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
OK, hopefully someone is familiar with the 2000+ Toyota Celica's premium 8-speaker sound system. It has a factory amp so the wiring becomes difficult (for newbies like myself anyway). okay so i have an eclipse 55090 which does not have speaker wires running from the head unit, it only has front, rear, and fader RCAs. im not sure how i would run it to the stock amp, which runs all these wires using a harness input. im confused how i could connect the speaker wires to the head unit. scosche makes a harness (TA03) which supposedly allows you to retain use of the stock amp (which is what id like to do) but i installed it and i have a horrible whine that only gets louder with a larger power draw (it's not a grounding problem). i couldnt figure out how to incorporate the use of the little blue box thing (it's like a line out and amp gain controller?) from the scosche wiring kit. instead i jus plugged in the harness, which also had front and rear RCA jacks that i plugged into the headunit's front and rear RCAs. someone had mentioned the humming because the RCAs need two channels but the scosche harness is forcing it into one channel. that's what that blue thing is for i guess, to eliminate the noise? but like i said, i couldnt figure out how to wire it up...any suggestions? I'll prolly look at the blue box harder but any walk-throughs would be helpful.
again im trying to retain the use of the stock amp, i dont plan on upgrading the components, but i am looking at adding a sub and mono amp to power that. worse comes to worse i could replace the stock amp with a cheapo amp. what should i look for in the cheapo amp? 4-channel? im a total newbie at audio. thanks!
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

Are you sure you did all the connections correctly?    Where/what did you plug the TA03 in to?  Your symptoms sound similar to what happens when you try to connect an aftermarket radio to avalons and camrys with the factory amps.  The plugs coming out of the factory radio will lead to other plugs about a foot away, and you unplug those and plug in your TA03.  I don't know if this is what your situation is but give it a look.

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm still trying to visualize all that you've described.

trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
it probably is similar to the camry's and such. i'll look again to see if there is a 2ND plug, but i dont see how that would help? what would be wired up in that 2nd plug?
the TA03 is two different pieces. let me try and explain clearer...one piece is the wire harness that plugs straight into the factory plug. but the wire harness also has these 4 RCA jacks to connect to the 2nd piece of the TA03. that 2nd piece is also supposed to connect to the 8 speaker wires coming from the head unit (front left +, front left -, front right +, front right -, rear left +, rear left -, rear right +, rear right -). but my eclipse unit does not have the wires, instead it has RCAs. so what i did was throw aside the 2ND piece, and hook up the eclipse RCAs to the wire harness RCAs. that is what someone diagnosed as the problem...the harness is forcing the two channels into one wire and causing the humming noise. i dont understand how you could resolve this without buying a new amp (which i cant really afford)
i was thinking of splicing the speaker wires leading into the factory amp to the 2nd piece of the TA03, but im still wondering how the system would get sound if there's no input from the headunit...this is frustrating! any idea what this line out/amp gain controller does?
esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

It's probably used to match the eclipse's line out voltage with that of the factory amp. And considering the eclipse has a really strong output signal (8 volts) you might need to use this to bring down the level a bit before you send it to the factory amp.

One more thing I just found....on installer.com, for the 00-01 celica they have an amp bypass harness listed. The picture says it's 17 feet long, which makes it sound as if the factory amp is in the trunk, but I know the amp is behind the glove box. Weird. I know you're not looking to bypass the amps but I wasn't sure if the picture might give you a clue as to how to do some of the connections. I'm still trying to figure out the other stuff though.

Oh yea and I also wanted to ask you if this was what the harness you're using looks like? If so, what did you hook those two loose black wires on the left side of the picture up to?

trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2003 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  

thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. that is the harness i am using, plus it comes with this http://www.sfxaudio.com/products/dispItem.asp?ProdId=80205 the official name for it is the high level amplifier interface...4 channel level converter, whatever that means! those two black wires you are referring to are ground wires. i grounded them together. and i grounded the headunit ground wire separately.

im sorry but i really dont understand how that picture helps me, im a noob :) and yes my goal is to retain the stock amp. if you bypass the amp, ive read you have to wire the speakers in series, plus you lose mid and bass. it's still there, jus much weaker.

i see what youre saying about the eclipse 8V signal needing to be turned down, and thats what im assuming the "high level amp interface" is used for, but again i dont understand how i connect that to both the harness and the eclipse head unit since i only have enough rca jacks to accomodate one of the two.

on that website (installer.com) with the factory amp bypass harness i noticed there was an eclipse 16 pin connecter with speaker wires that could wire into the "high level amp interface." would that connecter fit in the headunit and solve the problem?

before i try that im prolly gonna try splicing the speaker wires running into the amp to that high level amp interface again. i was thinking maybe last time i forgot to plug the speaker harness back into the amp when i tested out everything. but again, i doubt that's the problem because the real reason i didnt get sound is because the headunit didnt have any audio signals going out right? i mean since the headunit's connector doesnt run speaker wires, if i dont connect those RCAs to something, i wont get any sound correct? this is damn frustrating because i dont even have my car to work on. i have to wait till monday because i have it stored in a garage at my parent's house...sorry these posts are so long to read!

esmith69 
Posted: March 15, 2003 at 6:46 AM / IP Logged  

I wasn't sure if that picture would be of any help or not, just thought I'd include it for the heck of it just in case.  I figured those were ground wires but I wasn't totally sure.

High-level interface means that it converts an amplified signal ("high-level"), such as that from a standard head unit's speaker outputs, to a low-level signal that you can then use to hook up to an amplifier.  Usually you would then hook up the converter's RCA outputs to an aftermarket amplifier.

The main problem you're running in to is that they don't really make RCA-to-speaker level converters--cuz well that's what an amplifier does.HU Install problems with stock amp -- posted image.  You can get a low-to-high level line driver but the only ones I've found only have RCA outputs.

I think what you might want to try is this:  use something like the FD03 and just cut the ford connector off, then use the bare wire ends to tap in to the inputs for your factory amp (Each RCA plug would have a positive and negative, and would be for each speaker).  I know you have 8 speakers but I'm almost positive the factory amp only uses 4-channels of inputs.  If you decide to try this approach, you'll also need 2 level controls so that you can step down that 8volts from the eclipse, to match the factory amps.  What I had in mind was something like the N-22V, but you need two of them to be able to adjust the level for the front and the back.

You could always try the ford RCA plug thing without those level controls, as the factory amp's input might be of a high voltage.  You won't hurt the amp, it just might be really really loud even with the eclipse's volume turned down.  If that does happen then you know you'll need to use those level controls.

Unfortunately I do not know the color coding for the factory amp so I'm not sure which wires to have you hook up to, but most likely they'll just be the same color as the ones coming out of the factory radio plug.  And since you bought an aftermarket harness adapter thingy, you can hold up the two plugs next to each other and figure out the corresponding speaker pair.  make sense?

oh yea and the level control thingys would plug in to the head unit's RCAs, then you'd take the controls' RCA outputs and connect those to the FD03.  Good luck, hopefully it all works out!

trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2003 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help. makes sense looks like connecting this darn stereo is costing more than i thought! oh well
trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2003 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
oh yeah, and im assuming i dont need to use that high level amp interface thing?
trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2003 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
ok im sorry, but i jus looked at the N-22v and it looks like theres only female connectors on there. i dont understand how i would connect it to the headunit.
trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
ttt
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic