icon

Power question.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Edicius 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser.  My alternator and battery are both stock.  I have a kenwood kvt911dvd head unit and a kenwood khd-c710 music keg.  I plan on getting two Rockford Fosgate power HX2 12" subs with an Audiobahn A2300HCQ amp.  I also plan on getting an Audiobahn A3201Q amp to power my component speakers but have not decided which speakers yet. 

Will I have enough power to run all of this if I get a capacitor?  How big of a capacitor will I need?  What is the difference between digital capacitors and non-digital capacitors?

Also, I am not completly sure of when to use a two channel amp and a four channel amp. I think that I need a two channel for components..is this correct?

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
you will need a larger alternator...dont bother wasting money on a cap...
the difference between digital and non digital caps is the digital voltage meter on the top of the digital cap, where as the non digital one doesnt have it...just for show mostly, and if you want to keep tabs on what your voltage is doing...
it depends on what set of components you buy as to whether they are bi-ampable or not...some components are bi-ampable, and then it would be OK to use a 4 channel...you could also bridge a 4 channel down to 2 channels anyway, so its not that crucial whether you have a 2 channel or a 4 channel...
Edicius 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

What kind of alternator do i need to buy?

What about batteries?

I have heard that if you have over 1000 watts you need a cap is that wrong?

Would I be ok with just the subs and the A2300HCQ until I get a new alternator?

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Alright as far as the subs and sub amp goes excellent choice you will be very happy with that setup. Now for your mids and highs what is your plan? Are you just upgrading your fronts with the components? Or do you plan on upgrading your front and rear speakers? I would suggest that you do both front and back. Now as far as a 2 channel or 4 channel for your mids and highs that’s up to you. If you have a 2 channel then yes you can run your components off that. If you plan on upgrading front and rear then you can bridge them together and run your fronts off one channel and rears off another. This will allow you to run 2 sets of speakers (front 1 channel and rear 1 channel) off a 2 channel amp. The only problem with this is you lose the balance control. However if you plan on upgrading both front and back speakers I would suggest that you get a 4 channel (one channel for each speaker) AMP such as the Audiobahn A4125HCQ.  As far as the power goes you will need to get a high out put alternator. I calculate that the A2300HCQ and A3201Q alone with out the load of the rest of the car at full power will use 204 amps. Now a cap is not going to substitute for your lack of power/ current. You can read about what a capacitor will do for you here http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc scroll down on the left and click on capacitors, you will want to read the part about stiffening capacitors. Now for the ratings of the capacitors the rule of thumb is 1 farad for every 1000 watts rms so for a set up of 4000 watts you would need a 4 farad cap. The difference between digital and non digital is a digital has a digital voltage display and the non digital doesn’t. Now this will not affect its performance it’s more for looks. But like I said before a cap is not a substitute for a charging system upgrade they are meant to run in conjunction with the proper sized charging system. If you have any more questions or need me to clear up something let me know.
Edicius 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  

I am going to upgrade both the front and rear, I just have not decided on the speakers yet.(any suggestions?)  How do I know how many amps I have available now?  About how much does an alternator cost with and without installation?  Will just the A2300HCQ and the subs be too much for my stock alternator?  What about battery upgrades?

Thanks for the info!!!

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

If you’re going to be upgrading both front and back speakers I would go with a 4 channel amp instead of a 2 channel. I don’t know how big your alternator is but can tell you that the A2300hcq alone will use more power than your stock alternator can put out. As far as the price of the alternator goes depends on the company you go with. I would call this guy  C.S.A

nathanpeddicord@yahoo.com or call at 1-334-712-9955 or 1-334-791-6272 they build lots of alternators for competition and have very reasonable pricing. As far as the battery goes I would suggest that you get an Optima yellow top battery as well as the alternator. When you upgrade the alternator be sure to upgrade the cables between the alternator and the battery as well.

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2003 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
I emailed you a article on car audio and your electrical system let me know if you don't get it
Edicius 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2003 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
What should I look for in a battery?
Edicius 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2003 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

In the article that you e-mailed me, it said...

-- "Here's a simple formula: divide the RMS power rating of the amplifier (in this case, 300 watts) by the amount of voltage your car's electrical system will produce. Most cars have a standard 12-volt system that actually cranks out about 13.8 volts with the motor running. So, 300 watts divided by 13.8 volts equals 21.7 amperes of current. Your car's electrical system will need to produce an additional 21 amperes (the term for measuring electrical current) of electrical current to power the amplifier and subwoofer at a reasonable performance level."  

If I am calculating this for a multi-channel amp do I add the rms power rating of all of the channels together and then divide it?

dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2003 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

Don't replace the battery for audio. Just don't. If you draw so much current that you need to touch the battery, then you need a larger alternator. I'm too lazy to look up specs on those amps, but if you're going to go crazy, add a second alternator instead of replacing the alternator. Also, a capacitor will help if you have a big system, but it will not be anywhere near a substitute for the alternator. And whatever you do, do _not_ add a second battery unless you want to be able to run your system for a little while in acc on AND you have a very high current alternator. Letting the system run from battery with a weak alternator just gives the alternator more work to do, and ultimately ends up making matters worse.

If your system is really big, your alternator is good but you idle your car a lot (much of your driving being stop and go traffic, for example) then you could look at battcap, but like I said before it is not a replacement for an alternator.

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic