icon

Power question.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it can put out 375 X 4 @ 1 ohm which is 1500 watts but you will almost never run that kind of power on that amp if all you have is 2 sets of 4 ohms speakers. so if you run 2 sets a 4 ohms you will get 125X4= 500 so you will have 500 + 2400( sorry not 2200 as I figured before) will give a total of 2900 watts rms so if you calculate that it is 210 amps at full volume. Now trust me it will be very rare that you pull a full 210 amps for both amplifiers. But yes you are correct if you have the full 1500 watts which you will never do and the 2400 watts then yes you would be pulling about 280 amps (this will never happen) if you get a 200 amp alternator you will be fine. If you try and find a 300 amp alternator well then good luck. That’s when you get into multiple alternator setups and the cost on that is in the thousands.
Edicius 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

" Now trust me it will be very rare that you pull a full 210 amps for both amplifiers. But yes you are correct if you have the full 1500 watts which you will never do and the 2400 watts then yes you would be pulling about 280 amps (this will never happen) if you get a 200 amp alternator you will be fine."

So is it ok to go over what the alternator can put out?

If I buy a capacitor will that add to the amount of power I consume?

What about other add-ons(neon, videogame systems, video monitors, etc.)?

dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
If you're doing other addons like that, you will probably need a second alternator.
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
Trust me you will never pull a full 200 amps. I have had some very large systems and have had the current draw measured it never will come close to 200 amps.  On my last system I ran (1) Audiobahn A4125HCQ to power my mids and highs and (2) Audiobhan 18001D Amps to push (2) Audiobahn AW1208Q's  now that’s a total of 4100 watts RMS in the configuration I was running it.  Now if you do the math I should need 297 amps to run it a max volume. Now I only have a 200 amp alternator. When I put it on the alternator shops machine that tests how many amps your pulling if only drew a little under 200 amps with the car running and my neon’s and all that good stuff.  The volume was up as high as it could go with out distorting about 75 %.  Now I now that (2) my amps were class D which dose make a difference but what im trying to say is you will probably never pull over 200 amps. Now if you want to go for 300 amps well then go for it. And to answer your question about going over the alternators max no it’s not ok that’s how you blow an alternator. And if you add a capacitor that will not affect the amount of power that you consume. As far as the neon’s and all that they all add about 2 amps each. Have you talked to any alternator builders about this yet and gotten any prices?
Edicius 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
I emailed that guy that you told me about but he was out of town this weekend so we are just starting to talk today.
Edicius 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
     OK, another question...I found a website that says my stock alternator is 120 amps.  Do you still think that it is not enough for just my subs, even after you said that I will not pull all that it is rated at?
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
Go for at least 200 if you can go bigger with out any major upgrades (2nd alternator) then go for it. Now that guy at C.S.A. may be able to get you some more power then some of the other manufactures out there. But don’t settle for anything under 200 amps. And you won’t come close to the max volume which will use the max amps that you calculated.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic