icon

first well second fiberglass project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lanceam24 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
bad news, i will be scrapping this enclosure. i didnt realize how effin HEAVY it would be... 45 lbs. without sub or amp. its too huge for my car i think so i'll be starting over with just a sub box in one corner of my trunk. o well i gained some valuable experience with this project so the next one should be a breeze. i may finish the other one later, just not now. stay tuned!
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2008 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  

ckeeler wrote:
i say NEVER use fleece. always use speaker grill cloth, jersy material(what t-shirts are made from), or nylon(what stockings and pantyhose are made from) then reinforce the reverse side that wont be seen with matting. not only will the finished side look better with less sanding than using fleece and gallons of body filler, but for anything not cosmetic that needs to be strong, like a box, fleece will fold like cardboard. even if you reinforce it from the other side with matting, the resin used at first never soaks all the way through and even if it did, resin soaked fleece is way heavier and not near as strong as matting and resin. every thing ive ever seen using fleece turns out to be nothing but a BONDO covered gonna just crack later piece of crap, not fiberglass. might as well call boxes made with fleece "BONDO BOXES" not fiberglass boxes.

^^^first well second fiberglass project - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2008 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
As long as the project will actually fit your vehicle, I would suggest finishing the project since its so close to completion. Do a little sanding and carpet it it black, then sell it on ebay. If its possible and you have the time, finish and paint it. Then ask for more. That way you at least get some money for the time and some of the materials you invested in it. Lots of custom boxes go for $300 and up, even on ebay.
Like ckeeler wrote earlier, for your next project use a lighter of a material, and use more matte. It will help keep your weight down, and give you a stronger enclosure. Good luck, and dont forget to post some pics.
sS
rtfm
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic