icon

relay, heat in house

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
standbackimapro 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2008 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

well the heat in my house wouldnt shut off, so i pulled out this relay ( i believe its a relay) it has 5 prongs the little picture on the side of it has prongs 1 and 3 connected, 4 and 6 connected and 2 and 5 with what looks like to be a little switch in the middle

heres a crappy picture i made in paint

1 and 3 has a squiggley line connecting them, but the question im asking, is, the parts place wants 50 bucks for this part,
so im trying to find out of i can use a different relay like a regular relay

relay, heat in house -- posted image.

relay, heat in house -- posted image.

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2008 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
you could use a regular relay. but, my question is how do you know this relay is even bad? the heater may go off when you pull this relay yes, but that doesnt mean the relay is bad. the trigger that activates the relay could be on all the time because the thermostat is bad or shorted, or a problem with a control board. have you tested this relay? if so, how? i would spring for having someone come out and repair your heater if you hadn't thought of any of these things or are not sure how to test the relay even.
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2008 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
Did you pull it out of your thermostat?
Usually thermostats with mechanical relays use impulse relays that can lock on either state, so they don't draw power continually.
I like Honeywell thermostats with solid state relays myself- if it's your thermostat you're having a problem with, a new one would probably be a better way to fix it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic