icon

diamond audio amplifier problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stratusphere19 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  

ok so i have a diamond audio d3 1000.1 amplifier hooked up to 2 12" mtx 8500s at 1ohm,and the stuff is brand new and i have had it hooked up for 1 week,so it isnt broke in yet ,and when i play it at medium low volume the protect light flashes a tiny bit and i cant figure out what it is,i checked the power cables..the voltage at the amp..the ground connections..the ground connections dnt have voltage ..i have the correct cables too,diamond had me check those things and they said just have it bench tested to see if there are problems.

any help would be appreciated thanks

airhed692000 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I have seen this problem many of times and it is your a voltage drop. By any chance do you have a power cap or a upgrade alternator because what it is doing is when the bass hits, it draws so much power from the car. With a power cap and/or an alternator of 140amps or more it will stop the blinking of the protect lite on the amp. I know you said that it was at a 1 ohm load so that means your amp is giving out 1000rms to 2x 500rms speakers right. You have them in a (parallel/parallel) hook up then. If this is right, then that is what you are going to do, is to get a power cap or something to take the spike of the amp when the bass hits. If you have a power cap then you just might need a bigger one. Every 1 Farad = 1000watts max. Let me know if this helps. Have a good one. If you got anymore questions for me let me know. Thanks
Here is a PDF FILE for you to look at the sub specs.
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/TechData_T8512-44.pdf
Ronald Bailey Owner/ Installer of VIBRATION CUSTUM SOUNDS
Pioneer 5 1/4f, 6x9b
xdvd8183 7" screen,Amp-BX1206d
0/4power/ground cables
15" RE AUDIO xxx in a 4.5ft3 box tuned to 34hz 146.3db
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Ok have you measured the voltage at the amp while playing?  Try this and let us know what the voltage is when the protect light starts to blink.  As stated above this could be a voltage problem.  Now adding a cap will not solve any of your problems, this is just a band aid and could cause more problems down the road.  With a upgraded electrical system there is no need for a capacitor.  Do you have your big three upgraded?  If not this may be a good place to start.  Read the sticky on big three upgrade.  Also what gauge wire are you running?  Are there any more amps running on your system?  Let us know what the voltage is while playing and then we will ne able to better assist you on getting this solved.
stratusphere19 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
i have a kinetik hc800 battery as my second battery so the voltage is fine and 4ga power cables like the amp needs thats the biggest it can take too
pioneer 4800mp h/u
infinity refrence 4ch diamond d3 1000.1
pioneer,pbx,and pioneer highs
2 12" mtx 8500s vented box
kinetik hc800 battery
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
Do you know the voltage is fine did you actually measure it?  A battery is just a storage device, it stores energy does not create it.  Adding a second battery will do little to nuthing if you cant supply the power being drawn.  Power being supplied comes from the alternator.  Is your big three upgraded?  If not chances are the the current grounds from chasis to engine are 8 gauge or smaller much to small for the type of current you are pulling.  This could solve your problem, but you have to physically measure the voltage while playing at loud levels to determine this is the source of the problem.  As far as everything else you have told me, such as your load on your amplifier, and the correct cable size everything else seems fine.  If it isent the voltage problem then you might want to consider sending it back to Diamond and getting it replaced or looked at...
airhed692000 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah you don't need the other battery but it helps with the voltage draw from the amp. It makes it so the amp does not see least the 10volt. 95% of amps see 10 volts and go into protect mode. He needs to up grade to a bigger alt. and maybe his wire is it less the 4g. But after putting that all together the other battery or a bigger battery would be a good idea for a great system. I have my self in my van 800ca in the front and 1000ca in the back with a 1 farad power cap with a 0/4 wedding cable going from front to back, and a 140amp alt, NO POWER LOSE IN MY SYSTEM AT ALL. I HIT 146.3db with one 15" re audio xxx. Hope this helps you thanks
Pioneer 5 1/4f, 6x9b
0/4power/ground cables
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2008 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
He didn't say the amp was shutting down, just the protect light was flashing. Series the woofers and see what happens. Running 1 ohm is just flat out LAME. More heat and more current for a few extra db's. If it's rated for 1 Ohm or not, the actual Imp. might be a quarter of that.
If the problem is voltage you must make energy, not store it. A second battery is a waste of time and money if you have no way of charging in. A HO Alt. and the Big 3. Stiffening Caps do have a time and place, but very few people know when that is. 95% of time it's some idiot just wanting to sell you something.   
"I have a kinetik hc800 battery as my second battery so the voltage is fine". Did you measure this voltage or are you assuming? You should have 1/0 AWG linking the two. "Yeah you don't need the other battery but it helps with the voltage draw from the amp. It makes it so the amp does not see least the 10volt". This statement make zero sense. The voltage is not drawn from the amp. The amp sees whatever voltage is between power and ground. If the voltage at the second battery is 13V, the voltage in and out of the Cap will be 13V and will be 13V at the amp. If you can't supply the rear battery with the correct charging voltage, it is just a load on your electrical system.
What every energy you use, must be replaced.
Ragsports advice has been spot on.
120db with a bowl of chili.
stratusphere19 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2008 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help everyone,the voltage at the amp never drops below 13v but ive only played it half way,and the amp is regulated so anywhere between 11 and 15.5 volts doesnt matter,and the second battery helped a ton for me the rpms used to drop at this volume and lights dimmed a ton but now they dont anymore at all,even after an hour of playing the voltage of the batterys after the car is off is 13v,so charging them isnt an issue
pioneer 4800mp h/u
kinetik hc800 battery
airhed692000 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2008 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
Glad I can help, if you have anymore problems let me know ok
Pioneer 5 1/4f, 6x9b
0/4power/ground cables
stratusphere19 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2008 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
i asked a local shop they said its likely that it sees a bit below 1ohm...cause as the coil moves the impedance fluxuates a bit because thay are dual voice coil,it does change as the subs move we measured it as they played,and they said it should be fine and to wait and see what it does after the break in period,so idk that may be it,asked diamond they had me check everything and said maybe get it bench tested
pioneer 4800mp h/u
kinetik hc800 battery
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic