icon

wiring diagram for two amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flashover95 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2008 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
I installing two amplifiers in my 01 stang.  One is an MTX 564 4 channel amp and the other is MTX 81001 D amp.  Can someone provide me with a diagram of how to run the wires?  Im going to use a 0 gauge amp kit.  Thanks.
armyboy521 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2008 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
you could use a distribution block to split the wires this one takes 0 gauge and splits it down to 4 gauge which should be enough to power those amps they also make them with a fuse it's your choice though w/ or w/o fuse
armyboy521 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2008 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
If your determined to run 0 ga to the amps you can find the distribution blocks that split 0 ga to 0 ga just type it in google you will find sites that sell them
armyboy521 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2008 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
you can use these for your rca's to split them
http://www.online/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=16361
i realize you asked for a wiring diagram but i don't have anything like that sorry maybe someone else does i'll keep an eye on the post i could probably draw you something up on paint if no one else has what you need
armyboy521 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2008 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
ok got bored so i quick drew one up hope this helps
wiring diagram for two amps -- posted image.
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2008 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
If you keep the runs short enough after the dist block you can use much smaller wire. Anything bigger than 4ga might take some engineering to get hooked up on the amp's strip. Putting fuses on this point would make diagnostics a little easier, you can pull the fuse for each amp or if an amp blows a fuse the dist block could be mounted in an easier to access location.
For a little security, I would try to find a dist block with a small gauge output as well, say like a 10-12ga output. Use this as your power wire for the relay switching those remotes. On a single amp, I wouldn't bother, but with two or more draws, I would use a relay to isolate and protect the head unit.
The ground would use a dist block too, no fuses need here.
rival904 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
reax222 wrote:
If you keep the runs short enough after the dist block you can use much smaller wire. Anything bigger than 4ga might take some engineering to get hooked up on the amp's strip. Putting fuses on this point would make diagnostics a little easier, you can pull the fuse for each amp or if an amp blows a fuse the dist block could be mounted in an easier to access location.
For a little security, I would try to find a dist block with a small gauge output as well, say like a 10-12ga output. Use this as your power wire for the relay switching those remotes. On a single amp, I wouldn't bother, but with two or more draws, I would use a relay to isolate and protect the head unit.
How would you wire up a relay for 2 amps and why?
Just curious. I was going to run a new wire from my battery and up to a toggle switch at the dash and use that as a remote.
Sorry if I hijacked the thread just wondering your reason behind this.
The ground would use a dist block too, no fuses need here.
2004 F150 STX 4x4
Eclipse CD3100
(4) Pioneer TS-W3001D4
Powerbass 3XL 6x8
Powerbass 600.4
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2008 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
I would expect a radio to handle less than 1 amp on the remote wire. I don't know how much an amp pulls, but I suspect 200 mA or more. A relay pulls the same, but you can push 20-30 amps through the switched side. Using a relay will isolate the amps from the radio and allow you to put up to 30 amps of accessories that are triggered by the radio on the circuit. So you can wire a bunch of amps, some lights and other toys without harming the radio.
Wiring is simple. 86 to radio remote, 85 to ground. 87 to 12v/battery and 30 to all of the items you want to control (up to the max of the relay.) If your going to use a manual switch (I wouldn't, because if you leave it on, you will have a constant drain. You will also have to turn it back on when you want the amps on, a relay off the remote will handle it automatically), you can wire up to the max on the switch 5-30 amps.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic