icon

making interior neons light to bass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nosfuratu9 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2008 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, i have an 07 Cobalt LT coupe and i was thinking about putting some neon either in my trunk or under my seats. If i wanted it to light up to the bass, could i just run the positive wire to my positive sub wires and then ground out the neons properly?
$Mike$
b1b2b3 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
You could do that, but it's not advised. There are a range of problem that could arise from doing such, things like your subs not getting as much power because the neon is taking some, and also with really big bass hits, it might the neon might get overloaded, and blow, which wouldn't be a great outcome.
I know you'd expect me to give you an example of what you could do, but to be honest, I don't know exactly, I only have rough ideas, but I do know that you shouldn't connect them up how you have suggested.
I've got my LED strips lighting to the beat of my music, which I was going to do by connecting a home made circuit to the signal line to the amp, but that proved to be a little too difficult for me at the time, so I bought a Street Glow Music Interface for $50 (Australian).
That's not going to help you too much, but at least you know what you shouldn't do :).
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2008 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
im working on a similar project sort of.
If you buy a light ring, it will come with a flaher unit that makes the light ring flash to the music.
What ive done with mine so far, is to take apart the unit, remove the little mic and remote mount it, and im working on finding a switch so i can remote mount that too (hard switch to find) then i can put the mic wherever i want, slap the switch on my dash, and connect it to LEDs or other neons that will flash to the music.
You dont nessecarily need to take apart the flash unit, im just doing it a little bit differently because i want to wire lights all over my car, not just in one place.
You CANNOT connect lights directly to a subwoofer wire.... it doesnt work, ive tried it.
b1b2b3 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2008 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
bigjohnny wrote:
You CANNOT connect lights directly to a subwoofer wire.... it doesnt work, ive tried it.
Yeah dude you can do it, I've done it with my speaker wires coming out of my head unit, just for kicks, nothing permanent, so it will definitely work on the subwoofer lines. But as I said above, it's not advised because (in a general sense) it takes power away from the amp.
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
It didnt work for me when i tried it.... i was using home theater though, not car audio..... i tried it using a neon.
It works with an led, but it blew the led i tried with when the voltage got too high......
b1b2b3 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ahk, didn't realise that you used a neon.. I don't have much experience with neons themselves, I always use LED's so they must be different. But yes, LED's do work on the speakers lines, as you said. Just gotta see if you can get a multimeter and test the voltage that is produced over the home theatre speaker wires, and then use a resistor or add more LED's in series to stop them from blowing :).
nosfuratu9 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
so if i used a streetglow LED tube, how would i do that without anything dangerous happening?
$Mike$
b1b2b3 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
does the streetglow LED tube already have a sound sensor in it?
nosfuratu9 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
i dont think so.
$Mike$
b1b2b3 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
well then the first thing I'd suggest, if you don't know how to read, and construct ciruits, is to also purchase a Street Glow music interface. I got one off eBay for ~$50. You can then plug in up to 12 light accessories, although I don't see why you can't double up connections into one port,which then means you can have lots and lots of lights running off it. I would only do this with LED's though as they have low current draw, with neon's I'd be much more hesitant.
Otherwise, you'll need some sort of circuit, which incorporates a microphone, and then an amp to power the lights, variable resistor, and various other things that I can't remember off the top of my head. There are plenty of circuits out there if you are good at putting them together, but otherwise just spend the extra 50 on the music interface, it works great for me :).
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic