bypassing passlock ii using resistors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bertleaf 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I am new to car alarms and remote starters but eager to learn.

As I understand, my 2001 Chevrolet Silverado has the Passlock II system and I need to bypass it in order to use a remote starter.  I have been browsing around both this site and many others trying learn as much as I can about it.  I was not aware that I would have to bypass anything when I bought the remote starter so I really don't want to spend any more money on it. Therefore I want to try the resistor and relay method rather than buying a module.

I have seen lots of different opinions on it such as that when the temperature changes, the resistance changes enough to make the start fail. So I am looking for comments from people who have actually used this method on a similar vehicle and how well it works. I'm from Alberta, Canada and the temperature can be anywhere from -35 C (-31 F) to 35 C (95 F).  I really don't care if it won't work when its hot, but I want do it to be reliable when it is cold (especially at -35).  Should I measure my resistance when both the resistors and the truck are cold to ensure that it works at lower temps or is it really not that big of a deal?  So if anyone has any experience with this, please leave a comment.

Also, is there any way to test if the bypass was successful without installing the remote starter first and trying to command start it?

Thanks and the remote starter I'm installing an Autopage RS 1000 in case anyone needs that info.

brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  
Even though I prefer to use a bypass, I have installed the resistor and relay method.
I have not had any issues with this method.
You really need to install the starter, then work on the bypass.
Brent Haugen
Fargo, ND
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
bertleaf wrote:

such as that when the temperature changes, the resistance changes enough to make the start fail. So I am looking for comments from people who have actually used this method on a similar vehicle and how well it works. I'm from Alberta, Canada and the temperature can be anywhere from -35 C (-31 F) to 35 C (95 F).  I really don't care if it won't work when its hot, but I want do it to be reliable when it is cold (especially at -35).  Should I measure my resistance when both the resistors and the truck are cold to ensure that it works at lower temps or is it really not that big of a deal?  So if anyone has any experience with this, please leave a comment.

those wives tales you have heard about the resistance changing is absolute bull doodie. think of it like this, all you are doing when you use the resistor and relay method is duplicating the resistance in the lock cylinder. if it was true that temperature change could affect the resistance resulting in a no start situation, it would also be true for the resistance built into the lock cylinder on your car. which means that there would be a chance that GM would build cars that may or may not start depending on the temperature? that is so ridiculous it makes me chuckle.

bertleaf 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys.

I'm going to give that a try.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic