adding actucator to the trunk lock

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rdorris84 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2008 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

i have an 1987 chevy caprice classic,4 dr sedan, basic model

i install an aftermarket alarm system wit the option of adding power trunk release. now the kit i purchased for the trunk came wit a solinode did not fit an  key release trunk like i have, so i swap my whole trunk lock out wit an power trunk lock of same car and year.  the aftermarket solinode had two connectors points, one for the keyless entry  and the other for the ground wire. now the orignal trunk lock that i swap only came with one connectors point for the key less entry. now my question

on the trunk lock i swap, do i have to add a ground wire to the rtrunk actuator? if so how?

racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2008 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
I am not positive i understand what you are asking.
Mainly if you are using an add on aftermarket solenoid that will require a high current 12v source. It is best to use just a single relay since more than likely the output from your remote start unit is low current. They are also usually negative outputs. Wire that like this
Pin 85: Negative Output from remote start
Pin 86: 12v Fused
Pin 30: Positive input to solenoid
Pin 87: 12v Fused
Then the other side of the solenoid should go to ground. If the truck has a carpeted cover you can use one of the support structures inside the truck lid, but be sure any ground screws wont penetrate the outer sheet metal. If it is open simply run the ground along with the power wire down inside the truck and ground to the body somewhere out of site.
Now if you are using an OEM release solenoid that only has a 1 wire input, it likely grounds itself via the mounting bolts and only the power wire should be run to it. The relay should still be used as shown above. Hope that helps! -James
rdorris84 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 4:18 AM / IP Logged  
The third section answered my question, so the oem solenoid, ground itself out? I already installed the relay
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  
If the oEM solenoid has two wires, one will get grounded and the other to the relay...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
rdorris84 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  
the oem solenoide has one wire input.
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
That is correct a 2 wire solenoid needs both run to it, a single wire solenoid grounds itself and only needs 12v to activate.
rdorris84 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for answering my question
rdorris84 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2008 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
ok i installed the oem power trunck latch to my alarm with relay, its still not working? what could it be? maybe i bought a busted part cause i got it from the junk yard. how could find out do the part work?
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2008 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  

rdorris84 wrote:
ok i installed the oem power trunck latch to my alarm with relay, its still not working? what could it be? maybe i bought a busted part cause i got it from the junk yard. how could find out do the part work?

take it off and bench test it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic