icon

'97 honda accord weird dome light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
subconceptz 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2008 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
O.K. here's the problem: My mom has a 1997 Honda Accord LX, 4 door. She bought it brand new in '97 from the local dealer. I put a Viper 550 alarm/remote start/keyless in it as soon as she got it. Up until about a couple weeks ago everything worked fine. Now all of a sudden the dome light does not work with the doors. It has a 3 position switch on the dome light with off-door-on. The off position works, the on position works but the door position does not. All the doors have "puddle" lights on them that come on and go off with the doors opening and closing. The dash also has the indicators that tells you which door or doors if any are open and it works fine. The door chime also works fine. It just has no top dome light that works with the doors. The Viper 550 also has dome supervision hooked up and it doesn't turn on the dome light either. There are 3 wires at the dome light, black, black with white stripe, and white with blue stripe. I have confirmed that the black wire is ground and the other 2 have 12.5 volts at all times. They are a negative trigger activated wire. When the on position at the switch is activiated there is 0.00 volts on the black and black with white wires. When any doors are opened there should be no voltage at the white with blue wire but there is. Any ideas on this? I'm stumped. I have confirmed that the door pins are working also. Thanks.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2008 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
From what you are telling us, the only possible problem is the DomeLight switch.  The door pins are working because the door indicators on the dash are working.  The dome supervision is connected to the same wire that the pin switches are connected to.  The door pins and the domelight supervision signal is not getting to the bulb.  The switch has to be the problem.
subconceptz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2008 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
I would have to agree but there is a conflict in the switch. The white with blue stripe wire does not change to ground when the doors are opened, that wire is the door open part of the switch. The switch is built into the dome light. So if the wire does not throw a negative signal to the switch, that is built into the dome light how can the light come on? Thats whats stummping me. :(       Somewhere the car is not sending a trigger up to the dome light via the white and blue wire.?.?.?.?     Hmmmmmmmmmm.......... Any other suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks.
i am an idiot 
Posted: November 23, 2008 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

If you cut and spliced the domelight supervision wire, check for a bad connection at that point. 

subconceptz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2008 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
Huh, I never thought to check there. I will look at it tomorrow night and let you know the results. Thanks for the input.
subconceptz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input! I checked my dome light supervision connection and sure enough one of my connections broke. Not sure how that happened as I solder everything but I guess anything is possible. Man, I would have never thought about checking it out. I thought for sure it was something in the car. Once again thanks for the info. I really appreiciate it a lot!
i am an idiot 
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
Glad to help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic