icon

kicker zx1500.1 cuts out at 1/2 volume

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hookedonaudio 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
I had 2 Rockford Hx2 power series 12's on this amp and it started cutting out, It is now blowing 100 amp fuses like crazy. I have 4 gauge wire ran from the battery to the amp and a 4 gauge 2 ft ground. I figured the power series 12's were too much for the amp so I hooked up my regular hx2 12"s which have 1/2 the rms and it still cuts out and fries the 100 amp fuse. greatly appreciate any feedback
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
Well... first of all, what size fuse is in that amp?  150 amps?  So why are you surprised it is blowing a 100 amp fuse on your power lead?  Second, speakers are never "too much for" an amp.  Their RMS power rating means nothing in terms of how much load they will place on an amp, it is only determined by their total impedance.  How are your speakers wired?  And third, how did you set your gain?
Support the12volt.com
hookedonaudio 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
The amp has no fuses on it and I had the subs wired in series and I have the gain and bass boost set at half. Can you get more than a 100 amp fuse because all I"ve been able to find is 100 amp.
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2008 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

The maximum rating you can find depends on the type of fuse your fuse holder will accomodate.  If it's an ANL fuse , you should be able to find that at any car stereo shop or on the internet.  If it's AGU , then I'm pretty sure 80-100 amps is the highest rating you'll find.

As for the amp, from the manual on the Kicker website:

ModelZX1500.1 1 (ONE) 150 AMPERE FUSE PowerGroundWire 1/0GA

The manual says it has an included 150A fuse that's supposed to be put on the power wire within 18" of the AMP, in addition to the one at the other end, within 18" of the battery.  I think a 150A fuse might be too high of a rating for 4AWG, which is why they recommend 1/0 gauge. 

Here's the link to the manual if you want to check it out.

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2008/2008%20ZX%201000%201500%202500-1%20e01%20web.pdf

Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
find a 150A fuse breaker to put near the battery. and you should definitely size up the gauge of wire to at least 2AWG. if this is a problem that just started suddenly you might have a short in one of your subs

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic