95 jeep grand cherokee lock system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiovibe-mike 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

ok ive got it here now

sorry about the double post i am new around here.

96-97 has an in vehicle multiplexing system. IVMS. there are a driver and passenger door lock module. Basically 1 DLS will control the drivers door in a reversal rest at ground system and the passenger door controls all other doors(also reversal ground at rest), but not the driver. Im gonna tell you right now your gonna have fun with this one, but dont give up youll get it. You WILL have to cut both the unlock and lock wires from BOTH door modules. Oh and heres the worst part..... BOTH door panels need to be removed as the modules are at the switches in the door. its way to complicated to write out everything on here but PM me after you get goin and ill help you out.

audiovibe-mike 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

sorry for the extra post but. if you look at the date of birth inside the driver door jamb you'll see that you have a 96 jeep, or close enough to it that it has the IVMM system.

side note...... i hate it when these come in the shop, i always give myself and extra half hour for these beasts.lol

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2008 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
Test thepoint where you've joined to see that you have the correct wire, test your unit's output to see it's delivering what's required, that 4 relay jobbie, only ever seen that on London Taxis where both sides of the MOTOR wires sit at open circuit at rest, thus to lock, you feed the one motor wire with 12V+ and send the other side to ground, revefrsing this for unlock. That's the front doord, the backs are switched neg.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  

I've seen it twice now Howie, both times on new Superduty Fords. And I haven't seen them all that way either. but never on a jeep, nope never. all those jeeps have audiovibe-mike, if that is the lock system he has is a 5 wire system that has to be done in each front door, theres not going to be a reversal rest at open on this one.

thejetmolina 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

i got the chance to test the unlock wire which is  pink/purple and when i press the unlock switch the multimeter reads 12v but it also reads12v when i press lock while testing the same pink/purple wire so where does the unlock signal actually come from? there is a 3rd wire coming out of the back of the lock/unlock switch is there any idea what that wire does

Beep Beep who got the keys to the Jeep
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
I hope I can cut through a bit of confusion here.
'96-'98 and '99-'04 Grand Cherokees use door modules and data communication to operate the doorlocks. The motor wires for the driver's door go from the driver's door module to the actuator, and the motor wires for all other doors go to the passenger door module.
These models require either the aforementioned relays interfaced inside the front doors, with the motor leads, or data modules such as DEI's 455T and 455J in order to be controlled by an aftermarket unit with keyless entry.
'93-'95 Grand Cherokees, by every reference I've ever read, are positive relay trigger only. No data module is necessary and if the aftermarket unit has positive door lock/unlock outputs the wires can be connected directly to the wires on the vehicle without the use of relays. Since thejetmolina has got lock(but not unlock) working with a direct connection, that means emphatically that this is not a '96 model and not a 5W rest-at-ground system.
What you should do next:
  • Meter again the pink/purple wire at the switch or wherever you have it, and verify that it shows 12V when the switch is held to "unlock".
  • Apply 12 volts to that wire(you can get it from the ignition switch or the battery, through a 5 amp fuse. If the fuse blows, I'm wrong and it's a 5-wire rest-at-ground system. If the doors unlock, go to the next step. If they don't unlock, but the switch is working, then you didn't apply 12V or something else is really screwed up.
  • Disconnect the alarm's (+) unlock wire from anything whatsoever on the car. Meter that wire, while pressing "unlock" on the aftermarket remote. It should show 12V. If it doesn't, the module is bad.
If you get through all that without solving your problem, post back again and we'll try some more.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
thejetmolina 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2008 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
there has to be a problem with the alarm module cause the unlocks work with the door switch and gets 12 volts with the tester just when i press unlock on the alarm there is no signal at all ill get another alarm and see wut happens if not i could always bring it back thanks for ur help
Beep Beep who got the keys to the Jeep
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2008 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
Of course you could have done the obvious right at the start  and checked the lock/unlock outputs from the module.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic