my laptop keeps starting automatically

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 30, 2008 at 3:54 AM / IP Logged  
Read Page 81
There is a wireless event viewer that will possibly tell you if the wireless adapter is causing the wake up. The 6 hour thing is puzzling.
Be Glad you do not have the Broadcom Wireless Adapter
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2008 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Bluetooth is an option on that unit. Do you have bluetooth? I read a couple things about the unit but did not notice if there was an Infrared Port on the unit. If it has Infrared, try covering the sensor to see if that helps. I have seen cases where the operating system failed to write to the bios, go to device manager and enable the wake on feature on both adapters, restart if it wants to. Then go back and remove the checks, restart again.
I tried to cover my laptop with a blanket and a bunch of other stuff but it still turned on. I checked the event viewer, didn't see a wireless viewer anywhere but nothing significant showed up.
I can't turn the wake on on and off because the box can't be checked. I turned off the bluetooth on my laptop which didn't help.
This problem makes absolutely NO sense to me. I would think it was a software problem but it only happens at my apartment which implies wireless or bluetooth. It only happens after six hours which doesn't make sense if it is wireless or bluetooth. I turn off the wireless on my laptop before I put it into hibernate but it still happens. It only when I am sleeping. It doesn't happen when I'm gone during the day even if it sits for six hours. I have NO clue anymore. By far the strangest problem I have ever had.
Tommorrow I think I'm going to try to totally isolate my laptop. Keep it somewhere where I know it can't get a wireless connection and see if that helps.
Thanks for the help but I think I'm going to contact Microsoft next. Contacting HP will take forever to figure it out so maybe Microsoft will know.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 03, 2008 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
When you say it won't let you put a check in the box, where is this?  In Device manager on the power management tab of the properties applet of the wireless or ethernet?    I know you said earlier that you went into the bios and turned off all of the wake on options.   Go back there and turn them all on.  Restart and turn all off and restart again.  Now go back to wherever it would not let you put a check, see if it will now.
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2008 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
When you say it won't let you put a check in the box, where is this?  In Device manager on the power management tab of the properties applet of the wireless or ethernet?    I know you said earlier that you went into the bios and turned off all of the wake on options.   Go back there and turn them all on.  Restart and turn all off and restart again.  Now go back to wherever it would not let you put a check, see if it will now.
For my wireless adapter it won't let me check or uncheck that box. I checked then unchecked the others which didn't help.
my laptop keeps starting automatically - Page 2 -- posted image.
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2008 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah so I figured out the problem. I feel kind of stupid now that I know what it is.my laptop keeps starting automatically - Page 2 -- posted image.
Basically, what was happening was when I closed the lid on my laptop it is set to go into hibernation mode. However, when I do this it will start after 6 hours for whatever reason. If I simply go to start then choose hibernate and put it into hibernation mode that way it stays in hibernation mode.
I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier. I think the reason was because when I did go to Start then put it into hibernate that way I would close the lid right away. So it wasn't actually hibernating because I told it to but because I shut the lid.
Thanks for those who helped!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic